Monday 5 May 1980
It was Monday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Bonnie Lynn and Hank Green.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Call Me by Blondie.
In UK Working My Way Back To You / Forgive Me Girl by The Detroit Spinners was in the top 5 hits.
Friday the 13th, directed by Sean S. Cunningham, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1980
while Back Bay by William Martin was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Señorita Andrea.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Polaris or The Prisoner.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 5 May 1980 ?
- Martyrs Neophytos, Gaius and Gaianus
- Euthymios the Wonderworker
- Barlaam of Serpukhov
- Martin and Heraclius of Illyria
- Eulogios the Confessor
- New Martyr Ephraim of Nea Makri
- Albania: Martyrs' Day.
- Great Martyr Irene
- Roly Poly of Georgia.
- Saint Aventinus (d. 1189)
- Ethiopia: Liberation Day (1941).
- International Midwives Day.
- Adrian of Monzensk
- South Korea: Children's Day.
- Guyana: Indian Immigration Day (1838).
- Council of Europe: Europe Day.
- International No Pants Day.
- Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea and Taiwan (2006): Buddha's Birthday.
- Japan: Tango no Sekku (Boy's Day) or Kodomo no hi (Children's Day).
- Mexico and (informally) the United States: Cinco de Mayo (1862).
- Bonnie Lynn: Gagnon; Miss New Hampshire Teen USA (1997).
- Hank Green: Musician, video blogger and founder of ecogeek.
- Yossi Benayoun: Israeli footballer.
- DerMarr Johnson: American basketball player.
- Charmane Star: Filipino porn actress.
- Edmond Vandercammen: Belgian writer/poet (Grand Combat), dies at age 79.
- Siege at Iranian Embassy in London ends; British commandos and police stormed the building.
- Operation Nimrod: The British Special Air Service storms the Iranian embassy in London after a six-day siege.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1980 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Blondie - Call Me
- Christopher Cross - Ride Like The Wind
- Air Supply - Lost In Love
- Billy Preston - With You I'm Born Again
- Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall (Part II)
- Bob Seger - Fire Lake
- Billy Joel - You May Be Right
- Dr. Hook - Sexy Eyes
- Kenny Rogers - Don't Fall In Love With A Dreamer
- Jimmy Ruffin - Hold On To My Love
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?