Thursday May 22, 1980
US date format: 5/22/1980, UK date format: 22/5/1980
It was Thursday, under the sign of Gemini (see birth chart on May 22, 1980). The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was Margaret Thatcher (Conservative), Pope St John Paul II was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Lucy Gordon and Aleksandra Kirsanova.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Call Me by Blondie.
In UK What's Another Year by Johnny Logan was in the top 5 hits.
The Mountain Men, directed by Richard Lang, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1980
while Whip Hand by Dick Francis was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Coming Home.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing The Prisoner or Midway Campaign.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of May 22, 1980?
- Saint Humilita
- Saint Rita of Cascia
- Victoria Day in Canada
- World Biodiversity Day.
- See more
- Marlo Thomas and Phil Donahue marry.
- Namco releases the highly influential arcade game Pac-Man.
- The International Court of Justice calls for the release of U.S. Embassy hostages in Tehran.
- The New York Islanders win their first Stanley Cup, from a goal by Bobby Nystrom in overtime of game six of the Stanley Cup playoffs's final round.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 22, 1980?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #10 songs in the USA
Top #5 songs in the UK
Top #10 R&B songs
- Jermaine Jackson - Let's Get Serious
- Lipps, Inc. - Funkytown
- The Whispers - Lady
- Smokey Robinson - Let Me Be The Clock
- Stephanie Mills - Sweet Sensation
- The Isley Brothers - Don't Say Goodnight (It's Time For Love) (Parts 1 & 2)
- Ray Parker Jr. & Raydio - Two Places At The Same Time
- ConFunkShun - Got To Be Enough
- The Manhattans - Shining Star
- Leon Haywood - Don't Push It Don't Force It
Make this day unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Days to next May 22If May 22, 1980 is your birthday you're 40 years, 4 months, 4 days old and you'll celebrate your next birthday in 7 months, 26 days.
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
What videogames would you be playing back in the days?