Thursday 8 December 1960
It was Thursday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Lim Guan Eng and Aaron Allston.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to Are You Lonesome To-Night? by Elvis Presley.
In UK It's Now Or Never by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
Exodus, directed by Otto Preminger, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Cheaters.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 December 1960!
Which were the important events of 8 December 1960 ?
- Malta - Public Holiday.
- Panama - Mother's Day
- Romania - Constitution Day
- Bulgaria - Day of the Student (studentski praznik)
- R.C. Saints - The solemnity of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary: a Holy Day of Obligation
- Italy - In Milan, the opera season starts.
- Buddhism - The Enlightenment of Gautama Buddha
- Afflux (50 Aftermath) (Discordianism)
- Lim Guan Eng: Malaysian statesman.
- Aaron Allston: American game designer and author (d. 2014).
- Lim Eng: Malaysian accountant and politician 4th Chief Minister of the State of Penang.
- Expansion Los Angeles Angels sign a four-year lease to use Dodger Stadium.
- For the first time, the Mary Martin ''Peter Pan'' is presented as a stand-alone two-hour special on NBC instead of as part of an anthology series. This version, rather than being presented live, is shown on videotape, enabling NBC to repeat it as often as they wish without having to restage it. Although nearly all of the adult actors repeat their original Broadway roles, all of the original children have, ironically, outgrown their roles and are replaced by new actors.
- French President Charles de Gaulle's visit to Algeria is bloodied by European and Muslim rioters in Algeria's largest cities. These riots caused 127 deaths.
- The first episode of the classic British TV series ''Coronation Street'' is broadcast. Planned as a 13-part drama, it becomes such a success among viewers that it is still shown five times per week.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 8 December 1960
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - Are You Lonesome To-Night?
- Floyd Cramer - Last Date
- Johnny Tillotson - Poetry In Motion
- Maurice Williams & The Zodiacs - Stay
- Kathy Young - A Thousand Stars
- Johnny Horton - North To Alaska
- Jerry Butler - He Will Break Your Heart
- U.S. Bonds - New Orleans
- Sailor (Your Home Is The Sea) - Lolita
- Hank Ballard and the Midnighters - Let's Go, Let's Go, Let's Go
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?