Friday 9 June 1978
It was Friday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Elizabeth Reid and Lucia Povraznikova.
In that special week of June people in US were listening to You're The One That I Want by John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John.
In UK You're The One That I Want by John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John was in the top 5 hits.
Jaws 2, directed by Jeannot Szwarc, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1978
while The Human Factor by Graham Greene was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Everyday Maths.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Clowns or MUD1.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 June 1978!
Which were the important events of 9 June 1978 ?
- Saint Efrem=Saint Ephraim, deacon, Doctor of the Church
- Blessed Diana d'Andalo
- Saint Pelagia, virgin, martyr [BLS]
- Saint Vincent, deacon, martyr [BLS]
- Blessed Richard, bishop of Andria, Apulia
- Saint Liborius, bishop (of LeMans), confessor [GTZ: LeMans]
- Saint Edmund, bishop of Canturbury, confessor (Translation day) [GTZ: England]
- Saint Diomedes
- =? Blessed Columba, abbot, confessor [GTZ: Scotland]
- Saint Columba (called Saint Columcille in Ireland, where he is honoured as one of the islands three patron saints)
- Saint Alexander, martyr [GTZ: Russia]
- Roman Empire paganism - third day of the Vestalia in honor of the goddess Vesta
- Saint Primus and Felicianus, martyrs [common]
- Elizabeth Reid: Fairfax, Virginia -- Gymnast (1996 Olympics).
- Lucia Povraznikova: Miss Slovak Republic Universe (1997).
- Miroslav Klose: German football player, he has been holding the record of goals in world cups since July 2014 (Rio World Cup) with 16 goals (Ronaldo scored only 15 goals).
- Michaela Conlin: American actress.
- Matthew Bellamy: English vocalist, guitarist, pianist and songwriter (Muse).
- Shandi Finnessey: American model and actress Miss USA 2004
- Heather Mitts: American soccer player
- Eric Papilaya: Austrian singer
- Hayden Schlossberg: American director producer and screenwriter
- Brian Wade: American actor model and physical trainer
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) strikes down 148 year policy of excluding black men from priesthood
- Larry Holmes beats Ken Norton in 15 for heavyweight boxing title
- Gutenberg Bible (one of 21) sells for US$2.4 million, London, England.
- Intel introduces the 4.77 MHz 8086 microprocessor. It uses 16-bit registers, a 16-bit data bus, and 29,000 transistors, using 3-micron technology. Price is US$360. It can access 1 MB of memory. Speed is 0.33 MIPS. Later speeds included 8 MHz (0.66 MIPS) and 10 MHz (0.75 MIPS).
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints opens its priesthood to ''all worthy men'', ending a 148-year-old policy excluding black men.
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 1978 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John - You're The One That I Want
- Andy Gibb - Shadow Dancing
- Johnny Mathis - Too Much, Too Little, Too Late
- Chuck Mangione - Feels So Good
- Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street
- Bonnie Tyler - It's A Heartache
- George Benson - On Broadway
- ABBA - Take A Chance On Me
- Wings - With A Little Luck
- Player - This Time I'm In It For Love
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?