Sunday 9 May 1948
It was Sunday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Roger Judenne and Calvin Murphy.
State of the Union, directed by Frank Capra, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1948
while The Bishop's Mantle by Agnes Sligh Turnbull was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Barney Blake, Police Reporter.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 9 May 1948 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- Roger Judenne
- Calvin Murphy: American athlete, NBA basketball player for San Diego Rockets (1970-71) and Houston Rockets (1971-83) .
- John Drayton Mahaffey in Kerrville: Texas, USA; PGA golfer (1978 PGA Champion).
- Hans Georg Bock: German mathematician.
- Hans Bock: German mathematician computer scientist and academic.
- Steven Mosher: American social scientist and author.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1948 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?