Saturday 14 August 1948
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include John Allison and Terry Adams.
Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid, directed by Irving Pichel, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1948
while The Big Fisherman by Lloyd C. Douglas was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Douglas Edwards with the News.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 August 1948!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 14 August 1948 ?
- Paraguay - Flag Day
- St. Maximilian Kolbe
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of several saints: St. Eusebius of Rome
- United States - National Code talkers Day
- Pakistan - Independence Day
- RC saints - Maximilian Kolbe (Polish Franciscan priest martyred by Nazis in 1941)
- Morocco - Allegiance of Oued Eddahab or Rfo de Oro
- United States - National Creamsicles Day
- John Allison: American executive, financial accountant and CEO of BB & T Financial services, overseeing successful acquisitions of S & L's.
- Terry Adams: American pianist and composer (NRBQ).
- 14th Olympic games close at London, Great Britain
- Don Bradman, widely regarded as the best cricket batsman in history, makes a duck in his final Test innings.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1948 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Underneath the Arches - Primo Scala & His Banjo & Accordion Orchestra with The Keynotes
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?