Monday 16 August 1948
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Patrick Balkany and Annemarie Huber-Hotz.
Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid, directed by Irving Pichel, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1948
while The Big Fisherman by Lloyd C. Douglas was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Lucky Pup.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1948!
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the important events of 16 August 1948 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Patrick Balkany: French politician, a member of the National Assembly of France.
- Annemarie Huber-Hotz
- Barry Hay: Singer / fluitist / saxophonist / guitarist (Golden Earring).
- Mike Jorgensen: American baseball player and manager.
- Pierre Reid: Canadian educator and politician.
- Babe Ruth: American baseball star, a legend in his own time, called the best baseball player who ever lived.
- Arabs blow up Latrun pumping station in Jerusalem
- Israeli pound becomes legal tender
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1948 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Underneath the Arches - Primo Scala & His Banjo & Accordion Orchestra with The Keynotes
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?