Sunday 15 August 1948US date format: 8/15/1948, UK date format: 15/8/1948
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo (see birth chart on August 15, 1948). The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democrat).
Famous people born on this day include Robert Pittenger and Uschi Digard.
Rope, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1948
On TV people were watching Gabrielle.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 15 August 1948
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Personalized book about You
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 August 1948!
Which were the important events of 15 August 1948 ?
- Hawaii ? Toro Nagashi (Floating Lantern Ceremony) to commemorate the end of the second world war
- Poland ? Polish Armed Forces Day
- Eastern Orthodoxy ? Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, the commemoration of the death of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
- RC Saints ? Feast day of the Assumption of Mary, the mother of Jesus, Holy Day of Obligation. Public Holiday in: Austria, Belgium, Cameroon, Chile, C(te d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, East Timor, France, Greece, India, Italy, Lebanon, Lithuania, Malta, Mauritius, Poland, Portugal, Seychelles, Slovenia and Spain.
- Acadie ? National Day
- Egypt ? Flooding of the Nile Day
- India ? Independence Day (from the United Kingdom, 1947)
- Korea ? Liberation Day
- Italy ? "Ferragosto", remembrance of an ancient Roman holiday in honor of Augustus (Feriae Augusti)
- Liechtenstein ? Liechtenstein Day
- Tuva ? Tuva Republic Day, Naadym
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Alipius
- St. Arnoul/Arnulphus
- St. MacCartin/Ard/Aed
- The Assumption of Mary - a holy day of obligation
- Ancient Latvia ? M?ras
- Robert Pittenger: Politician.
- Uschi Digard: American pornographic actress and model.
- Patsy Gallant: Canadian singer-songwriter and actress.
- George Ryton: Singaporean-English engineer.
- Republic of Korea (South Korea) proclaimed (National Day)
- The Republic of Korea is established south of the 38th parallel north.