Thursday 15 August 1963
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Greg Adams and Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Fingertips - Pt 2 by Little Stevie Wonder.
In UK Sweets For My Sweet by The Searchers was in the top 5 hits.
A Ticklish Affair, directed by George Sidney, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1963
while The Day They Shook The Plum Tree by Arthur H. Lewis was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Ready, Steady, Go!.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 August 1963!
Which were the important events of 15 August 1963 ?
- Hawaii ? Toro Nagashi (Floating Lantern Ceremony) to commemorate the end of the second world war
- Poland ? Polish Armed Forces Day
- Eastern Orthodoxy ? Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, the commemoration of the death of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
- RC Saints ? Feast day of the Assumption of Mary, the mother of Jesus, Holy Day of Obligation. Public Holiday in: Austria, Belgium, Cameroon, Chile, C(te d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, East Timor, France, Greece, India, Italy, Lebanon, Lithuania, Malta, Mauritius, Poland, Portugal, Seychelles, Slovenia and Spain.
- Acadie ? National Day
- Egypt ? Flooding of the Nile Day
- India ? Independence Day (from the United Kingdom, 1947)
- Korea ? Liberation Day
- Italy ? "Ferragosto", remembrance of an ancient Roman holiday in honor of Augustus (Feriae Augusti)
- Liechtenstein ? Liechtenstein Day
- Tuva ? Tuva Republic Day, Naadym
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Alipius
- St. Arnoul/Arnulphus
- St. MacCartin/Ard/Aed
- The Assumption of Mary - a holy day of obligation
- Ancient Latvia ? M?ras
- Greg Adams: Nelson, NHL left wing (Dallas Stars).
- Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu: Mexican film director.
- Fabio Canino: Italian actor, writer, radio host and television personality.
- Jean-Rene Dubosc: French jockey with 83 wins.
- Danny Verlinden: Belgian soccer football player, the goal keeper on Brugge team in the 1994 World Cup.
- Alejandro Iñárritu: Mexican director producer and screenwriter
- Simon Hart: Welsh soldier and politician
- Kier: American singer-songwriter DJ and producer (Deee-Lite)
- Valery Levaneuski: entrepreneur, politician, former political prisoner
- Lisa Opie: English squash player and coach
- Jack Russell: England cricketer and coach
- John Powell: American discus thrower.
- Fulbert Youlou, resigns as President of Congo-Brazzaville
- President Fulbert Youlou is overthrown in the Republic of Congo, after a three-day uprising in the capital.
- Execution of Henry John Burnett, the last man to be hanged in Scotland.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1963 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Little Stevie Wonder - Fingertips - Pt 2
- Peter, Paul & Mary - Blowin' In The Wind
- Elvis Presley - (You're The) Devil In Disguise
- The Surfaris - Wipe Out
- Lesley Gore - Judy's Turn To Cry
- The Four Seasons - Candy Girl
- Allan Sherman - Hello Mudduh, Hello Fadduh! (A Letter From Camp)
- The Tymes - So Much In Love
- Kai Winding & Orchestra - More
- The Angels - My Boyfriend's Back
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?