Saturday 15 September 1934
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Tomie dePaola and Fred Nile.
Belle of the Nineties, directed by Leo McCarey, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1934
while So Red the Rose by Stark Young was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 September 1934!
Which were the important events of 15 September 1934 ?
- Bulgaria - The first day of school.
- Japan - Respect for the Aged Day before 2003; beginning in 2003, Respect for the Aged Day is held on the third Monday of September.
- The United Kingdom - the British commemorate the Battle of Britain on the day of the last massive Luftwaffe attack in 1940.
- Also see September 15 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- RC Saints - Feast day of Our Lady of Sorrows.
- Independence Day from Spain (1821) for Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua, celebrated everywhere with marches from schoolchildren.
- In ancient Greece, the second day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the priests of Demeter declared the public start of the rites.
- In Slovakia - Holyday of the Seven sorrows of Virgin Maria
- Tomie dePaola: American author and illustrator.
- Fred Nile: Australian soldier minister and politician.
- David Vaughan Thomas: Composer, dies at 61.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?