Monday 17 September 1934
It was Monday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Little Milton [Campbell] and Maureen "Little Mo" Connolly.
Belle of the Nineties, directed by Leo McCarey, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1934
while Anthony Adverse by Hervey Allen was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1934!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1934 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Little Milton [Campbell]: Rocker.
- Maureen "Little Mo" Connolly: California, United States -- Tennis, 1st woman grand slam (1953).
- Orlando Cepeda: New York Giants player (National League Most Valuable Player 1967).
- Maureen Connolly: American tennis player and champion of the Wimbledon Women's Singles in 1952, 1953 and 1954.
- Andre Casas: France sport Champion.
- Edmund van der Straeten: Composer, dies at 79.
- USSR joins League of Nations (Netherlands, Switzerland and Portugal vote no)
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?