Thursday 16 August 1934US date format: 8/16/1934, UK date format: 16/8/1934
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo (see planets position on August 16, 1934). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Pierre Richard and Dave Thomas (golfer).
The Moonstone, directed by Reginald Barker, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1934
On TV people were watching Color Classics.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 16 August 1934
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1934!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1934 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Pierre Richard: French actor and film director, considered to be one of the greatest and most talented of French comedians.
- Dave Thomas (golfer)
- Angela Buxton
- John Standing: London, England -- Actor (Edward-Lime Street).
- David Thomas: British professional golfer, winning the Championship Belgium title at the young age of 20.
- Peter Saul: San Francisco artists.
- Diana Wynne Jones: United Kingdom -- Sci-fi author (Drowned Ammet, Witch Week).
- Ketty Lester: American singer and actress.
- Dave Thomas: English-Welsh golfer and architect (d. 2013).
- Diana Jones: English author (d. 2011).
- Ed van Thijn: (Jewish) Dutch Foreign Minister / Mayor (Amsterdam, 1983-94).
- Ketty Lester [Revoyda Frierson]: US singer / actress (Love Letters).
- Donnie Dunagan: American former child actor and United States Marine Corps drill instructor.
- US explorer William Beebe descends 3,028 feet (1922 m) in Bathysphere.
- US ends occupation of Haiti (been there since 1915).