Thursday 16 August 1934
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Diana Wynne Jones and Ed van Thijn.
Treasure Island, directed by Victor Fleming, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1934
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1934!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1934 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Diana Wynne Jones: United Kingdom -- Sci-fi author (Drowned Ammet, Witch Week).
- Ed van Thijn: (Jewish) Dutch Foreign Minister / Mayor (Amsterdam, 1983-94).
- Ketty Lester [Revoyda Frierson]: US singer / actress (Love Letters).
- Donnie Dunagan: American former child actor and United States Marine Corps drill instructor.
- Pierre Richard: French actor and film director, considered to be one of the greatest and most talented of French comedians.
- David Thomas: British professional golfer, winning the Championship Belgium title at the young age of 20. He served in the military for two years in Malaya, moving on to Assistant Pro at the golf club there. By 6/1955, he had won the local tournament and followed with the British Golf Pro and the Belgium Championship afterwards, a spectacular accomplishment for someone for young.
- Peter Saul: San Francisco artists
- Diana Jones: English author (d. 2011)
- Ketty Lester: American singer and actress
- John Standing: London, England -- Actor (Edward-Lime Street)
- Dave Thomas: English-Welsh golfer and architect (d. 2013)
- US explorer William Beebe descends 3,028 feet (1922 m) in Bathysphere.
- US ends occupation of Haiti (been there since 1915).
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 16 August 1934
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?