Thursday 16 August 1934
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Pierre Richard and Dave Thomas (golfer).
Treasure Island, directed by Victor Fleming, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1934
while Lamb in His Bosom by Caroline Miller was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1934!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1934 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Pierre Richard: French actor and film director, considered to be one of the greatest and most talented of French comedians.
- Dave Thomas (golfer)
- Angela Buxton
- John Standing: London, England -- Actor (Edward-Lime Street).
- Donnie Dunagan: American former child actor and United States Marine Corps drill instructor.
- David Thomas: British professional golfer, winning the Championship Belgium title at the young age of 20.
- Peter Saul: San Francisco artists.
- Diana Jones: English author (d. 2011).
- Ketty Lester: American singer and actress.
- Dave Thomas: English-Welsh golfer and architect (d. 2013).
- Diana Wynne Jones: United Kingdom -- Sci-fi author (Drowned Ammet, Witch Week).
- Ed van Thijn: (Jewish) Dutch Foreign Minister / Mayor (Amsterdam, 1983-94).
- Ketty Lester [Revoyda Frierson]: US singer / actress (Love Letters).
- US explorer William Beebe descends 3,028 feet (1922 m) in Bathysphere.
- US ends occupation of Haiti (been there since 1915).
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?