Tuesday 15 August 1944
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Sylvie Vartan and Gianfranco Ferrè.
The Falcon in Mexico, directed by William Berke, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
while Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Missus Goes A-Shopping.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the important events of 15 August 1944 ?
- Hawaii ? Toro Nagashi (Floating Lantern Ceremony) to commemorate the end of the second world war
- Poland ? Polish Armed Forces Day
- Eastern Orthodoxy ? Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, the commemoration of the death of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
- RC Saints ? Feast day of the Assumption of Mary, the mother of Jesus, Holy Day of Obligation. Public Holiday in: Austria, Belgium, Cameroon, Chile, C(te d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, East Timor, France, Greece, India, Italy, Lebanon, Lithuania, Malta, Mauritius, Poland, Portugal, Seychelles, Slovenia and Spain.
- Acadie ? National Day
- Egypt ? Flooding of the Nile Day
- India ? Independence Day (from the United Kingdom, 1947)
- Korea ? Liberation Day
- Italy ? "Ferragosto", remembrance of an ancient Roman holiday in honor of Augustus (Feriae Augusti)
- Liechtenstein ? Liechtenstein Day
- Tuva ? Tuva Republic Day, Naadym
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Alipius
- St. Arnoul/Arnulphus
- St. MacCartin/Ard/Aed
- The Assumption of Mary - a holy day of obligation
- Ancient Latvia ? M?ras
- Sylvie Vartan: French singer, born to an Armenian-Bulgarian father (originally Vartanian) and to a Hungarian mother.
- Gianfranco Ferrè
- Michel Vauzelle: French politician, Minister of Justice in 1992-1993.
- Yoweri Museveni
- Saint John's (Canada)
- Claude Gaillard
- Linda Ellerbee: American journalist and author.
- Dimitris Sioufas: Greek lawyer and politician Greek Minister of Health.
- Linda Ellerbee in Bryan: Texas, USA; newscaster (NBC News Overnight).
- Tom Murphy: American politician.
- Barbara Bouchet: German actress and entrepreneur who lives and works in Italy.
- Gianfranco Ferre: Italian fashion designer and style setter.
- Thomas Murphy: Jr.
- R Rhodes: English political scientist and academic.
- Allied air raid on train in North Netherlands, 32 killed
- German field marshal von Kluge vanishes for one day
- Operation Anvil: Allies land on French Mediterranean sea coast
- US 7th Armour division reaches Chartres
- World War II: Operation Dragoon : Allied forces land in southern France.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1944 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?