Wednesday 16 August 1989
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo (see planets position on August 16, 1989). The US president was George H. W. Bush (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Alice Raucoules and Moussa Sissoko.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Right Here Waiting by Richard Marx.
In UK Swing The Mood by Jive Bunny & The Mastermixers was in the top 5 hits.
Romero, directed by John Duigan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1989
while King Of The Night by Laurence Leamer was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Split Ends.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Double Dunk or Arcus II: Silent Symphony.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 16 August 1989
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1989!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1989 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Alice Raucoules
- Moussa Sissoko
- Joe Jonas: Musician.
- Carlos Pena, Jr.: Actor.
- Charlotte Gurr: British female footballer.
- Wang Hao: Chinese race walker.
- Amanda Blake: American actress (Gunsmoke), dies at age 60 (born 1929).
- Roger Kingdom of USA sets the 110m hurdle record (12.92) in Zurich, Switzerland.
- A solar flare from the Sun creates a geomagnetic storm that affects micro chips, leading to a halt of all trading on Toronto's stock market.
- August 17 ampndash Woodstock '89 festival.
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1989 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Top #10 R&B songs
- Stephanie Mills - Something In The Way (You Make Me Feel)
- Babyface - It's No Crime
- David Peaston - Two Wrongs (Don't Make It Right)
- Batdance (From "Batman") - Prince
- Vesta - Congratulations
- The Isley Brothers - Spend The Night (Ce Soir)
- It Isn't, It Wasn't, It Ain't Never Gonna Be - Aretha Franklin/Whitney Houston
- My Fantasy (From "Do The Right Thing") - Teddy Riley Featuring Guy
- Eric Gable - Remember (The First Time)
- Jonathan Butler - Sarah, Sarah
Top #10 Latin songs
- Jose Luis Rodriguez - BAILA MI RUMBA
- La Incondicional - Luis Miguel
- A donde vayas - Los Bukis
- Te Amo - Franco de Vita
- Aunque mal paguen ellas - Roberto Carlos/Vicente Fernandez
- Ana Gabriel - Simplemente Amigos
- Gloria Estefan - Si voy a perderte
- Emmanuel - Quisiera
- Y Voy Hacer Feliz - Marisela
- Este Ritmo Se Baila Asi - Chayanne
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?
Which movies you probably rented those days on VHS/DVD to spend a great night?