Sunday August 16, 2009
US date format: 8/16/2009, UK date format: 16/8/2009
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo (see birth chart on August 16, 2009). The US president was Barack Obama (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was Gordon Brown (Labour), Pope Benedict XVI was leading the Catholic Church.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas.
The Descent: Part 2, directed by Jon Harris, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while Shanghai Girls by Lisa See was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching My Fair Lady.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Adam's Venture or Blue Toad Murder Files.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of August 16, 2009?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- A 6.9 magnitude earthquake occurs near Siberut Island, Sumatra, Indonesia, at 14:38 local time, injuring at least seven people. (France24.com)
- Police clash with hundreds of protesters in Peru demonstrating over the failure of President Alan García's government to rebuild the city of Pisco two years since it was devastated by a powerful earthquake. (''The Irish Times'')
- Two Russian Sukhoi Su-27 fighter jets collide during a training flight southeast of Moscow, killing the commander of the Russian Knights demonstration team. (RIA Novosti) (Xinhua) (BBC)
- Tropical Storm Claudette becomes the first tropical cyclone to affect the U.S. mainland in 2009. (Weather.com)
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 16, 2009?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #10 songs in the USA
Top #10 R&B songs
- Maxwell - Pretty Wings
- Drake - Best I Ever Had
- Mario Featuring Gucci Mane & Sean Garrett - Break Up
- Beyonce - Ego
- Ginuwine - Last Chance
- Young Money - Every Girl
- Keyshia Cole Duet With Monica - Trust
- Trey Songz - I Need A Girl
- Twista Featuring Erika Shevon - Wetter (Calling You Daddy)
- Drake Featuring Trey Songz & Lil Wayne - Successful
Sport Games on August 16, 2009
Jupiler LeagueFootball (Belgium)
- Charleroi - Germinal : 1 - 0
Bundesliga 1Football (Germany)
- M'gladbach - Hertha : 2 - 1
- Schalke 04 - Bochum : 3 - 0
Bundesliga 2Football (Germany)
- Ahlen - Kaiserslautern : 0 - 1
- Augsburg - Oberhausen : 2 - 2
- Koblenz - Bielefeld : 3 - 2
Le ChampionnatFootball (France)
- Boulogne - Grenoble : 2 - 1
- Marseille - Lille : 1 - 0
- Nice - Rennes : 1 - 1
Make this day unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Days to next August 16If August 16, 2009 is your birthday you're 10 years, 11 months, 20 days old and you'll celebrate your next birthday in 11 days.
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
What videogames would you be playing back in the days?