Monday 16 August 2010
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo (see planets position on August 16, 2010). The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Love The Way You Lie by Eminem.
Burning Bright, directed by Carlos Brooks, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while Star Island by Carl Hiaasen was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Offspring.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Just Dance 2 or Akatsuki no Amaneka to Aoi Kyojin.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 16 August 2010
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 2010!
Which were the important events of 16 August 2010 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 16 August
- Bobby Thomson: Scotland born American baseball player (d. 2010).
- The Philippine security forces announce they will extend the controversial counter-insurgency tactic Oplan Bantay Laya up until December 31, 2010. The political party Bagong Alyansang Makabayan condemned the extension. (GMA News)
- 3 more people are killed during protests in Kashmir. (BBC)
- At least 2 people are injured after a grenade explosion outside a Televisa television station in Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico. (CNN)
- The mayor of the Mexican town of Santiago, Nuevo León, Edelmiro Cavazos, is abducted. (''China Daily'')
- War in Afghanistan (2001–present):
- The President of Afghanistan Hamid Karzai gives private security firms operating in that country four months to disband. (Aljazeera)
- General Stanley A. McChrystal, recently sacked from his post in Afghanistan by the United States for speaking to ''Rolling Stone'', is given a lecturing post at a major university in the United States. (''The New York Times'')
- Nadja Benaissa, a HIV-positive former singer in the German girl band No Angels, goes on trial for allegedly not advising sexual partners of her condition. (AFP via ''Philippine Daily Inquirer'')
- U.S. actor Michael Douglas begins chemotherapy after doctors discover a tumor in his throat. (MTV)
- Politicians and intellectuals including Étienne Balibar, Noam Chomsky, Daniel Cohn-Bendit and Eva Joly appeal to Nicolas Sarkozy that France repay €17 billion it took from Haiti in 1825 after the Haitian Revolution (1791–1804) they say the money is ampquotmorally, economically, and legally unassailableampquot in the aftermath of the January 2010 earthquake. (''The Guardian'')
- 2010 Pakistan floods:
- The devastating floods continue as a concern of the United Nations, with officials citing a lack of aid funding for six million people in urgent need of clean water. (New York Times)
- The United Nations states there is high risk for as many as 3.5 million children who may be struck down by diseases in the water. (Aljazeera)
- Russia is battered by a severe storm following its recent heatwave, its hottest summer in recorded history. (BBC)
- An explosion at a maternity hospital in Romania's capital Bucharest, kills at least 4 babies, while 2 pregnant women and 8 newborn infants sustain burns and other injuries in serious condition. (CNN)
- As many as 40 people are killed due to a fiery collision between a lorry load of sugar and a police checkpoint in Nigeria. (News24)
- Easter Island
- Community leaders in Easter Island threaten to secede from Chile, prompting the resignation of Governor Pedro Edmunds Paoa. (''The Guardian'')
- Pro-independence activists reportedly seize control of government buildings, a museum and a hotel located on land claimed by ethnic Polynesians. (''Times Herald-Record'')
- 45 Chilean special forces have been sent to Easter Island to monitor events. (RNZI)
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 16 August 2010
Division 2Football (France)
- Metz - Troyes : 0 - 1
Premier LeagueUK Soccer
- Man United - Newcastle : 3 - 0
Liga IFootball (Portugal)
- Olhanense - Guimaraes : 0 - 0
Futbol Ligi 1Football (Turkey)
- Bursaspor - Konyaspor : 1 - 0
- Buyuksehyr - Kayserispor : 0 - 2
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2010 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Top #10 R&B songs
- There Goes My Baby - Usher
- Alicia Keys - Un-Thinkable (I'm Ready)
- Ride - Ciara Featuring Ludacris
- Miss Me - Drake Featuring Lil Wayne
- Your Love - Nicki Minaj
- Find Your Love - Drake
- B.M.F. (Blowin' Money Fast) - Rick Ross Featuring Styles P
- Love All Over Me - Monica
- Pretty Boy Swag - Soulja Boy Tell'em
- Bittersweet - Fantasia
Top #10 Latin songs
- Cuando Me Enamoro - Enrique Iglesias Featuring Juan Luis Guerra
- Yerbatero - Juanes
- Dime Que Me Quieres - Banda El Recodo de Cruz Lizarraga
- Alejate De Mi - Camila
- Al Menos - La Original Banda el Limon de Salvador Lizarraga
- Nina Bonita - Chino & Nacho
- No Puedo Volver - Intocable
- Stand By Me - Prince Royce
- Te Recordare - El Trono de Mexico
- El Malo - Aventura
Top #10 Rock songs
- Linkin Park - The Catalyst
- The Crow & The Butterfly - Shinedown
- Lay Me Down - The Dirty Heads Featuring Rome
- Another Way To Die - Disturbed
- Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare
- Savior - Rise Against
- Phoenix - Lisztomania
- Cage The Elephant - In One Ear
- Bad Company - Five Finger Death Punch
- Neon Trees - Animal
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?
Stock Markets and Exchange Rates
HBO plans to spend more than $10 million on the marketing for “Boardwalk Empire,” a series from Martin Scorsese. [..]
Agrium on Sunday unveiled a $1.1 billion unsolicited takeover offer for Australia’s AWB, hoping to pre-empt the company’s already-announced merger with GrainCorp. [..]
- Gilead Sciences GILD: opens at $34.26
- Union Pacific UNP: opens at $72.23
- United Technologies UTX: opens at $70.20
- HP Inc. HPQ: opens at $40.51
- 1 CHF = 6.5436 CNY
- 1 CAD = 6.5201 CNY
- 1 CAD = 0.9961 CHF
- 1 AUD = 6.105 CNY
Which movies you probably rented those days on VHS/DVD to spend a great night?