Friday 21 August 2009
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of August people in US were listening to I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas.
Fantomas, directed by Louis Feuillade, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while Black Hills by Nora Roberts was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching MacKenzie Falls.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Adam's Venture or Cars Race-O-Rama.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 August 2009!
Which were the important events of 21 August 2009 ?
- Ninoy Aquino Day - special holiday in the Philippines.
- Orthodox - Thaddaeus
- RC saints - Pope Pius X
- Roman festivals - Consualia, in honor of Consus, is held
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 21 August
- Argentina's association football championship kicks off after President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner puts it on the state payroll to avoid a financial crisis. (MercoPress)
- South African President Jacob Zuma makes a pilgrimage to a former anti-apartheid guerrilla camp in Angola where he lays a wreath and pays tribute to fallen comrades. (IOL)
- The presidents or heads of state of five nations, including Seretse Ian Khama of Botswana and Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe, along with ministers and musical troupes gather at the cricket stadium in Oranjemund, Namibia, for a welcoming ceremony at the conclusion of explorer Kingsley Holgate's latest expedition, which took him through nine countries. (IOL)
- William Calley, the former US army officer found guilty of organizing mass killings in the Vietnamese community of My Lai during the Vietnam War makes a public apology. (NPR)
- A missile fired from a U.S. unmanned plane destroyed a suspected militant hide-out in northwest Pakistan on Friday, killing at least 12 people in a stronghold of a jihadi leader blamed for attacks in Afghanistan. (Associated Press)
- Four policemen are killed after 4 suicide bombs on bicycles detonate in Grozny, Chechnya. (Al Jazeera)
- A North Korean delegation arrives in South Korea to mourn the death of former South Korean President Kim Dae-jung. (''China Daily'')
- 20 people are killed and 40 injured after clashes between pro-government and Islamist forces in Mogadishu, Somalia. (Bloomberg)
- A rockfall on a beach in the Algarve, Portugal, kills 5 holidaymakers and injures several others. (euronews)
- Mexico decriminalises the use of small amounts of marijuana, cocaine, heroin and other drugs for ampquotpersonal useampquot. (Al Jazeera)
- U.S. President Barack Obama condemns Lockerbie bomber Abdelbaset al-Megrahi's homecoming in Libya. (CNN)
- A 34-year-old Tunisian woman from Gafsa, thought to have been pregnant with 12 babies and whose story had attracted international attention, is determined to have been the victim of a phantom pregnancy. (IOL)
- László Sólyom, President of Hungary was declared unwelcome by Slovakia and was not allowed to step on Slovak soil to attend an unveiling of a statue depicting King Saint Stephen, first King of Hungary. (BBC)
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2009 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 21 August 2009
Jupiler LeagueFootball (Belgium)
- Standard - Charleroi : 1 - 1
Bundesliga 1Football (Germany)
- Hoffenheim - Schalke 04 : 0 - 0
Bundesliga 2Football (Germany)
- Fortuna Dusseldorf - Koblenz : 1 - 0
- Frankfurt FSV - Paderborn : 0 - 0
- Union Berlin - Hansa Rostock : 1 - 0
Division 2Football (France)
- Ajaccio - Strasbourg : 2 - 2
- Arles - Brest : 3 - 2
- Chateauroux - Caen : 1 - 1
- Dijon - Nimes : 1 - 0
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?