Friday 14 August 2009
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of August people in US were listening to I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas.
Inglourious Basterds, directed by Quentin Tarantino, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Somethin' Suave' Theater.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Archibald's Adventures or 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 August 2009!
Which were the important events of 14 August 2009 ?
- Paraguay - Flag Day
- St. Maximilian Kolbe
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of several saints: St. Eusebius of Rome
- United States - National Code talkers Day
- Pakistan - Independence Day
- RC saints - Maximilian Kolbe (Polish Franciscan priest martyred by Nazis in 1941)
- Morocco - Allegiance of Oued Eddahab or Rfo de Oro
- United States - National Creamsicles Day
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 14 August
- Hundreds of people protest in Caracas, Venezuela, after journalists protesting a new education law were beaten the previous day. (Associated Press)
- Pakistan begins its first international freight train service from Islamabad to Istanbul. (BBC)
- Malagasy peace talks break down when the armed forces reject one clause in the peace deal. (IOL)
- The MV ''Arctic Sea'', missing since late July, is reportedly found off the Cape Verde islands. (''The Times'')
- A Canadian court orders the government to repatriate Omar Khadr, the sole remaining Western citizen held in Guantanamo Bay detention camp. (Canadian Press)
- At least 13 people have died after a bus-train collision in Iaşi County, Romania. (Mediafax)
- Paraguay’s government withdraws a bill approving Venezuela's incorporation to Mercosur, fearing a defeat in Congress could hurt relations between the two countries. (MercoPress)
- In an unexpected move, Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir replaces Salah Gosh, his country's chief of security and intelligence since the mid-1990s, with General Mohamed Atta al-Mawla. (BBC)
- The remains of over 2,000 people discovered in Poland's largest mass grave from World War II are reburied in a military cemetery. (''Boston Globe'')
- After launching a major offensive attack on a suspected ASG training camp, the day-long clash in the Southern Philippines resulted in 23 government casualties and 31 casualties from the Abu Sayyaf Group. (Philippines Government Portal)
- Iranian reformists call for a probe of the Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei and his ability to rule. (BBC)
- An archaeological excavation uncovers the foundations of the 17th-century Smock Alley Theatre and several artefacts from theatrical performances in Dublin. (RTÉ)
- Lynette Fromme, a former member of the Manson family, is released after serving 34 years in prison. (ABC News)
- Lawyers for the Lockerbie bomber, Abdelbaset al-Megrahi, say he is abandoning his second appeal against his conviction for the December 1988 attack as Scottish officials consider his request to be sent home to Libya. (MSNBC)
- The United Kingdom imposes direct rule on the Turks and Caicos Islands after an inquiry found evidence of government corruption. (''Turks and Caicos Sun'')
- At least 13 people are killed and at least 85 are injured in a fierce gun battle in Gaza. (BBC)
- United States senator Jim Webb arrives in Burma for talks with General Than Shwe. (''Bangkok Post'')
- A University of Glasgow study suggests Asians may view faces differently from others. (BBC)
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2009 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 14 August 2009
Bundesliga 2Football (Germany)
- Duisburg - Cottbus : 2 - 2
- Greuther Furth - Frankfurt FSV : 4 - 0
- Paderborn - Karlsruhe : 2 - 0
Division 2Football (France)
- Arles - Ajaccio : 2 - 1
- Bastia - Caen : 1 - 2
- Chateauroux - Sedan : 1 - 0
- Dijon - Tours : 2 - 2
Liga IFootball (Portugal)
- Leixoes - Belenenses : 0 - 0
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?