Wednesday 12 August 2009
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of August people in US were listening to I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas.
District 9, directed by Neill Blomkamp, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while The Help by Kathryn Stockett was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The WiseGuys.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Arcade Hoops Basketball or Star Wars: The Clone Wars Republic Heroes.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 12 August 2009!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 12 August 2009 ?
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 12 August
- Les Paul: American musician, a jazz guitarist and electric guitar's designer.
- At a meeting in Caracas, Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez and Argentine President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner sign agreements expanding trade between their two countries. (MercoPress)
- It is discovered that the Killer Whale creates and visits 'social clubs'. (BBC)
- Yemeni troops, backed by tanks and fighter aircraft, launch a major offensive on the stronghold of Shia fighters in northern Yemen. (Al Jazeera)
- Thirty people are killed in Warrap state in southern Sudan, in a resurgence of the nomadic conflicts. (IOL)
- Russia's navy is deployed to find the , a missing ship reportedly hijacked three weeks ago in the Baltic Sea. (BBC News)
- About 700 people missing in southern Taiwan after Typhoon Morakot are located alive. (RTÉ)
- Indonesian police say DNA tests show that a militant killed in a weekend raid was not Noordin Mohammed Top, one of the region's most wanted men. (BBC)
- The wreckage of an Airlines PNG De Havilland Twin Otter 300 plane carrying 11 passengers and 2 crew is found near Isurava, Papua New Guinea there are no signs of survivors. (RNZI)
- Gunmen shoot dead five Pakistani Muslim preachers outside a mosque in Galkayo, Somalia. (BBC)
- Gregoire Ndahimana, a Rwandan fugitive accused of genocide and crimes against humanity, is arrested by a joint Rwandan-Congolese military operation. (BBC)
- An estimated 20,000 people march through Noumea, New Caledonia, to denounce violent clashes by USTKE trade unionists against police. (RNZI)
- New Zealand Navy divers believe they have located the sunken a week after the accident. (RNZI)
- Tonga's Transportation Minister Paul Karalus resigns after the sinking of the , which killed an estimated 93 people. (''New Zealand Herald'')
- German CDU politician Vera Lengsfeld attracts controversy for displaying a photo of Angela Merkel in a revealing gown without the authorisation of the Chancellor. (BBC)
- Lubna al-Hussein, the Sudanese woman facing forty lashes for wearing trousers in public, is prevented from leaving the country for a trip to Lebanon, where she was to take part in a televised talk-show about women's issues. (BBC)
- Diego León Montoya Sánchez, Norte Valle Cartel leader, pleads guilty to drug, murder and racketeering charges. (www.BackgroundNow.com)
- The Roman Catholic Church is expresses ampquotuneaseampquot and ampquotmortificationampquot over revelations surrounding the private life of Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi. (BBC)
- Astronomers discover WASP-17b, the first planet that orbits in the opposite direction to the spin of its star. (BBC)
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2009 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?