Monday 16 July 2012
It was Monday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of July people in US were listening to Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen.
The Dark Knight Rises, directed by Christopher Nolan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades of Grey by E L James was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Farouk Omar.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing CSR Racing or Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 July 2012!
Which were the important events of 16 July 2012 ?
- Botswana - President's Day (2nd day)
- Catholic - Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 16 July
- Mexican Drug War: The Mexican Federal Police arrested one of the three ringleaders responsible for the deadly shootout last month in the Mexico City International Airport's busy food court. An anonymous tip-off led police to his whereabouts. (''Global Post'')
- Syrian uprising (2011–present):
- Heavy fighting is reported in the capital Damascus overnight with claims of at least five deaths and dozens of injuries. (Reuters via ''The Irish Times'')
- Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov argues that Western nations are using blackmail to secure a new UN Security Council resolution in order to make the use of force in Syria legitimate. (CBS)
- Pakistani Taliban attack an office of the security force's intelligence agency in Bannu and take several hostages. (''USA Today'')
- Two American tourists who were kidnapped in the Sinai Peninsula in Egypt on 13 July 2012 are freed. (CBS)
- Thailand's security forces kill seven alleged drug smugglers from Myanmar in a gunbattle. (AP via ''Arab News'')
- English composer and pianist Jon Lord dies after suffering a pulmonary embolism. (''NME'')
- American singer Kitty Wells, the ampquotQueen of country musicampquot and the first female singer to have a number one song on the country charts with ampquotIt Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angelsampquot, dies of complications of a stroke. (''Los Angeles Times'')
- The United States Senate accuses the HSBC bank of laundering Mexican drug money. (BBC News)
- The launch of a flagship nuclear power station in Finland is delayed for a third time. (BBC)
- NBCUniversal buys full control of the US news website MSNBC.com and rebrands it as NBCNews.com. (NBC News)
- Stephen Covey, author of The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, businessman and motivational speaker dies. (AP via Newsday)
- Japan Self-Defense Forces airlift supplies to thousands of people isolated by flooding in southwest Japan, as the death toll rises to 24. (AAP via SBS News)
- Former National Rugby League player Craig Field is charged with murder following the death of a man allegedly assaulted in the Australian town of Kingscliff, New South Wales. (''Sydney Morning Herald'')
- A ampquotmultiple shootingampquot incident at Scarborough, a major district in Toronto, Canada, results in at least one death and 19 injured. (''National Post'')
- North Korea announces that Ri Yong-ho, a senior military figure and a member of the central presidium of the Workers' Party of Korea, is relieved of all duties due to illness. (AP via Yahoo! News)
- Thousands of athletes and officials start arriving in the United Kingdom for the London Olympics. (BBC)
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 16 July 2012
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 2012 ?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
What news were making the headlines those days in July 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?