Wednesday 18 July 2012
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of July people in US were listening to Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen.
The Dark Knight Rises, directed by Christopher Nolan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades of Grey by E L James was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Farouk Omar.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Beach Buggy Blitz or Curiosity – What's Inside the Cube?.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 18 July 2012!
Which were the important events of 18 July 2012 ?
- Uruguay - Constitution Day
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 18 July
- 2012 Burgas bus bombing:
- At least 6 Israeli tourists, men and women, are killed and more than 25 others are injured after a bomb explodes on an Israeli tourism bus at Burgas Airport, Bulgaria. (''Times of Israel'')
- Prime Minister of Israel Benjamin Netanyahu blames Iran for the explosion. (CNN)
- A bomb explodes in Pakistan's Orakzai Agency, killing at least 14 people. (AFP via Yahoo! News)
- Syrian uprising (2011–present):
- 97 people are reportedly killed across Syria by the Syrian army. (''The Daily Star'')
- A bomb explodes in the National Security Building in Damascus during a meeting of Cabinet ministers and senior security officials. (''The Daily Telegraph'')
- Syrian media report that Minister of Defense Dawoud Rajiha is killed along with deputy vice president General Hasan Turkmani, interior minister Mohammad Ibrahim al-Shaar and Assef Shawkat, Bashar al-Assad's brother-in-law and deputy defense minister. Several other senior officials are also seriously injured, including the country's intelligence chief Hisham Bekhtyar. (BBC)
- The US city of San Bernardino, California, declares that it has an ampquotimmediate and severeampquot fiscal emergency allowing it to declare bankruptcy without negotiating with creditors. (Bloomberg)
- Indian actor Rajesh Khanna dies at 69 in Mumbai after a prolonged illness. (BBC)
- 78 people are killed and 66 are reported missing after the MV Skagit, a ferry carrying 280 people sinks off the coast of Zanzibar on its way from Tanzania. (Al Jazeera)
- Italian police arrest buffalo mozzarella maker Giuseppe Mandara over alleged links to organized crime groups in Naples, Italy. (''Sydney Morning Herald'')
- Pressure is raised in Hungary for authorities to arrest alleged former Nazi war criminal László Csatáry, 97, who was discovered living in Hungary. Csatáry is wanted in connection with his role in the deportation of Jews to death camps during the Second World War. (''Sydney Morning Herald'')
- The monumental municipal building in Waalre, a town in the southern Netherlands, is destroyed in an attack after two cars purposefully rammed the building. (DutchNews)
- The Indonesian Air Force will for the first time send 4 Sukhoi Su-27 jet fighters to participate in war games alongside Australian F/A-18 Hornets and U.S Fighter jets from the 27 July 2012 to 17 August 2012. (''Sydney Morning Herald'')
- In Mexico, the PRD candidate, Andrés Manuel López Obrador, accuses the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI) of using illicit funds and laundering money to finance the campaign of Enrique Peña Nieto, the president-elect in the recent presidential elections. The PRI denies the claims and retorts that López Obrador is acting out of desperation and irrationality. (''The Guardian'')
- Kim Jong-un is officially announced as the Supreme Leader of North Korea, a position that he occupied ''de facto'' since his father's death. He also gains the rank of Marshal in the Korean People's Army. (BBC)
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 18 July 2012
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 2012 ?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
What news were making the headlines those days in July 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?