Saturday 16 September 1950
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Paula Moore and Henry Louis Gates.
The Black Rose, directed by Henry Hathaway, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1950
while Roosevelt In Retrospect by John Gunther was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Danger.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 16 September 1950 ?
- Mexico - Independence Day (from Spain; proclaimed 1810, recognised 1821, instituted 1825; See Fiestas Patrias)
- Also see September 16 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Cyprian, Pope Cornelius, Saint Ludmila
- In ancient Greece, the third day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the initiates walked to the sea at Phaleron and purified themselves in the water.
- Papua New Guinea - Independence Day (from Australia, 1975)
- Henry Louis Gates: American scholar.
- Paula Moore: American lucky winner of the largest lottery jackpot in 25 years, $42 million on 3/17/1997, Belmont, MA.
- David Bellamy: American singer-songwriter and guitarist (The Bellamy Brothers).
- Henry Gates: Jr.
- Loyd Grossman: American-English singer guitarist and television host.
- Pedro De Cordoba: Actor (Club Havana, Swamp Fire), dies at 68.
- Viet Minh-offensive against French bases in Vietnam
- Cleveland Rams (formerly AAFC) play first NFL game, beat Philadelphia Eagles 35-10).
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1950 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - Gordon Jenkins & His Orchestra
- I Love the Guy - Sarah Vaughan
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?