Wednesday 16 August 1950
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Marshall Manesh and Marc Lachièze-Rey.
No Way Out, directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1950
while Look Younger, Live Longer by Gayelord Hauser was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Gene Autry Show.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1950!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1950 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Marshall Manesh: Iranian-born American actor.
- Marc Lachièze-Rey: French astrophysicist, cosmologist and theorist at CNRS, working in the laboratory 'AstroParticule and Cosmology' (APC) in Paris.
- Hasely Crawford: Trinidad -- 100m runner (1976 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Stockwell Day: Canadian businessman and politician 15th Canadian Minister of International Trade.
- Jeff Thomson: Australian cricketer.
- Neda Ukraden: Serbian singer
- West Indies complete historic 3-1 series win against England
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1950 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Can Anyone Explain? (No, No, No!) - Ames Brothers
- Red Foley & Ernest Tubb - Goodnight, Irene
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?