Saturday 17 September 1938
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Paul Benedict in Silver City and Alec Broers.
Room Service, directed by William A. Seiter, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1938
while My Son, My Son! by Howard Spring was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1938!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 17 September 1938 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Alec Broers: Master (Churchill College Cambridge).
- Paul Benedict in Silver City: New Mexico, USA; actor (Harry - The Jeffersons).
- Thomas Labrecque: American executive and CEO of Chase Manhattan and David Rockefeller's chosen right-hand man.
- Paul Benedict: American actor (Born 1938).
- Perry Robinson: American clarinet player and composer.
- Bobby Wine: American Major League Baseball player.
- Bruno Jasienski: Polish poet (Born 1901).
- 52nd US Womens Tennis: Alice Marble beats Nancye Wynne Bolton (60 63)
- 58th US Mens Tennis: J Donald Budge beats C Gene Mako (63 68 62 61)
- Don Budge wins US Tennis open and completes Grand Slam
- British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain meets with the Cabinet. He states that Adolf Hitler appears to be "a man who could be relied upon when he had given his word".
- Neville Chamberlain returns temporarily to London to confer with his cabinet. The Russian army masses along the Ukrainian frontier. Rumania agrees to allow Russian soldiers free passage across her territory to defend Czechoslovakia.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?