Sunday 22 July 1962
It was Sunday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Daisy d'Errata and Steve Albini.
In that special week of July people in US were listening to Roses Are Red (My Love) by Bobby Vinton.
In UK I Can't Stop Loving You by Ray Charles was in the top 5 hits.
Shoot the Piano Player, directed by François Truffaut, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1962
while The Golden Rendezvous by Alistair MacLean was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The French Chef.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Spacewar! or Spacewar!.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 22 July 1962!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 22 July 1962 ?
- Swaziland - Birthday of former King Sobhuza II
- Pi Approximation Day
- St. Vandrille/Wandre Gisilus
- St. Mineve
- St. Joseph of Palestine (Count Joseph)
- St. Dabius/Davius
- Catholic - the feasts of at least 7 saints: St. Mary Magdalene
- Ratcatcher's Day. See:The Pied Piper of Hamelin.
- Daisy d'Errata
- Steve Albini
- Alvin Robertson: American athlete, pro-basketball player for 10 seasons beginning in 1984.
- Martine St Clair: Canadian singer.
- Jacques Glassmann: French soccer/football player, he played with RC Strasbourg (1978-1984), FC Mulhouse (1984-1987), Tours FC (1987-1988), US Valenciennes (1988-1994) and US Maubeuge (1994-1995).
- Martine Clair: Canadian singer and actress.
- 1st US Venus probe, Mariner 1, fails at lift-off
- 44th PGA Championship: Gary Player shoots a 278 at Aronimink Golf Club - Pennsylvania
- Shirley Englehorn wins LPGA Lady Carling Golf Tournament
- Chicago White Sox player Floyd Robinson goes 6 for 6 (all singles).
- Mariner program: Mariner 1 spacecraft flies erratically several minutes after launch and has to be destroyed.
- First US Venus probe, Mariner 1, fails at lift-off, falls into Atlantic Ocean.
- Telstar relays the first live trans-Atlantic television signal.
- International Agreement on the Neutrality of Laos signed in Geneva, Switzerland
- Algeria proclaims independence Ahmed Ben Bella is the first President.
- A crowd assaults the rally of Sir Oswald Mosley's right-wing Union Movement in London.
- Marilyn Monroe is found dead from an overdose of sleeping pills and chloral hydrate, officially ruled a ampquotprobable suicideampquot. However, the exact cause of her death has been disputed.
- The South African government arrests Nelson Mandela in Howick, and charges him with incitement to rebellion.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1962 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bobby Vinton - Roses Are Red (My Love)
- The Orlons - The Wah-Watusi
- Ray Charles - I Can't Stop Loving You
- David Rose and His Orchestra - The Stripper
- Brian Hyland - Sealed With A Kiss
- Claude King - Wolverton Mountain
- Joanie Sommers - Johnny Get Angry
- Pat Boone - Speedy Gonzales
- Dee Dee Sharp - Gravy (For My Mashed Potatoes)
- Freddy Cannon - Palisades Park
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?