Sunday 23 April 1961
It was Sunday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include George Lopez and Pierluigi Martini.
In that special week of April people in US were listening to Blue Moon by The Marcels.
In UK Wooden Heart by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
La Dolce Vita, directed by Federico Fellini, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Frog Pond by Joyce MacIver was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Ernie Kovacs Show.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 April 1961!
Which were the important events of 23 April 1961 ?
- Saint Gerard (d.1138)
- UNESCO International Day of the Book in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Turkey - National Sovereignty and Children's Day (1920)
- Israel - Yom Ha'atzma'ut (Israeli Independence Day) for 2007: (the observed date of this national holiday is determined by the Jewish Calendar).
- Independence Day for the Conch Republic
- National Beer Day in Germany
- Feast Day of Saint George: Patron saint and National Day of England
- Patron saint of the Spanish region of Arag=n
- Celebrated as St. Jordi's Day in Catalonia, presents of books and roses. See above.
- Catalonia - Lover's Day. Men receive a book as a gift from their romantic interest, while women receive roses. The book is in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Saint Adalbert of Prague
- Jurgi festival, in ancient Latvia
- George Lopez: Mexican-American actor, stand-up comedian and former disc jockey on MEGA 92.
- Pierluigi Martini: Italian pro race car driver in the Formula One series.
- Dirk Bach: German actor singer and screenwriter (d. 2012).
- Terry Gordy: American professional wrestler (Born 1961).
- Tenderloin closes at 46th St. Theater NYC after 216 performances
- Mary Lena Faulk wins LPGA Babe Didrikson-Zaharias Golf Open.
- Singer Judy Garland performed her legendary concert at Carnegie Hall.
- Algiers putsch by French generals.
- Judy Garland performs in a legendary comeback concert at Carnegie Hall in New York City.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Marcels - Blue Moon
- Del Shannon - Runaway
- Ernie K-Doe - Mother-In-Law
- Floyd Cramer - On The Rebound
- Clarence Frogman Henry - But I Do
- Jorgen Ingmann and His Guitar - Apache
- The Shirelles - Dedicated To The One I Love
- Kokomo - Asia Minor
- Gene McDaniels - A Hundred Pounds Of Clay
- Elvis Presley - Surrender
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?