Monday 23 April 1979
It was Monday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Barry Fratelli and Yana Gupta.
In that special week of April people in US were listening to Heart Of Glass by Blondie.
In UK Bright Eyes by Art Garfunkel was in the top 5 hits.
Manhattan, directed by Woody Allen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while Good As Gold by Joseph Heller was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Turtle's Progress.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Ozma Wars or Warrior.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 April 1979!
Which were the important events of 23 April 1979 ?
- Saint Gerard (d.1138)
- UNESCO International Day of the Book in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Turkey - National Sovereignty and Children's Day (1920)
- Israel - Yom Ha'atzma'ut (Israeli Independence Day) for 2007: (the observed date of this national holiday is determined by the Jewish Calendar).
- Independence Day for the Conch Republic
- National Beer Day in Germany
- Feast Day of Saint George: Patron saint and National Day of England
- Patron saint of the Spanish region of Arag=n
- Celebrated as St. Jordi's Day in Catalonia, presents of books and roses. See above.
- Catalonia - Lover's Day. Men receive a book as a gift from their romantic interest, while women receive roses. The book is in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Saint Adalbert of Prague
- Jurgi festival, in ancient Latvia
- Barry Fratelli: Scottish bassist (The Fratellis).
- Yana Gupta: Indian actress & model.
- Lauri Ylonen: Finnish singer (The Rasmus).
- Jaime King: American actress and model.
- Nicolas Portal: French directeur sportif and former professional road bicycle racer.
- Joanna Krupa: Polish/American model and actress
- Bengü : Turkish singer
- Wu Di: Chinese renju player
- Barry Hawkins: English snooker player
- Samppa Lajunen: Finnish skier
- Lauri Ylönen: Finnish singer-songwriter (The Rasmus)
- Blair Peach: New Zealand-born anti-fascist (Born 1946).
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 23 April 1979
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?