Wednesday 26 April 1961
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Albert Lawrence and Nancy Scranton in Centralia.
In that special week of April people in US were listening to Runaway by Del Shannon.
In UK Wooden Heart by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
The Beast of Yucca Flats, directed by Coleman Francis, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Ernie Kovacs Show.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 April 1961!
Which were the important events of 26 April 1961 ?
- World Intellectual Property Day (since 2001).
- Florida and Georgia, USA - Confederate Memorial Day.
- Shi'a Islam - Mawlid, Muhammad's birthday (2005).
- Tanzania - Union Day.
- Feast day of the following saint in the Orthodox Church: Stephen of Perm - also Old Permic Alphabet Day
- Trudpert (Irish monk martyred in Germany in 607).
- Lucidius (4th century)
- Saint Cletus (Pope Anacletus) and Marcellinus (Popes and martyrs)
- Paschasius (d. 865)
- Richarius or Riquier (d. 643)
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Saint Alda (d. 1309)
- Albert Lawrence: Jamaica -- 4X100m relayer (1984 Olympics - Silver Medalist).
- Nancy Scranton in Centralia: Illinois, USA; golfer (1991 du Maurier Ltd Classic).
- Anthony Cumia: American radio personality (The Opie and Anthony Show).
- Mike Francis: Italian singer and composer, best known for his 1982 hit, "Survivor".
- Joan Chen: Chinese-American actress director producer and screenwriter.
- Chris Mars: American singer-songwriter drummer and producer (The Replacements and Golden Smog)
- Gail Russell: Actress (Calcutta, Moonrise, El Paso), dies at 36.
- Roger Maris hits 1st of 61 homers in 1961
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 26 April 1961
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Del Shannon - Runaway
- The Marcels - Blue Moon
- Ernie K-Doe - Mother-In-Law
- Clarence Frogman Henry - But I Do
- Floyd Cramer - On The Rebound
- Gene McDaniels - A Hundred Pounds Of Clay
- Linda Scott - I've Told Every Little Star
- Brenda Lee - You Can Depend On Me
- Adam Wade - Take Good Care Of Her
- Ray Charles - One Mint Julep
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?