Saturday 24 December 1955, Christmas Eve
It was Saturday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Clarence Gilyard Jr in Moses Lake and Grand L Bush.
In UK Rock Around The Clock by Bill Haley & His Comets was in the top 5 hits.
All That Heaven Allows, directed by Douglas Sirk, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while Something Of Value by Robert Ruark was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1955!
Which were the important events of 24 December 1955 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Clarence Gilyard Jr in Moses Lake: Washington, USA; actor (Chips, Duck Factory).
- Grand L Bush: American actor.
- L Bush: American actor.
- Scott Fischer: American mountaineer and guide (d. 1996).
- Clarence Gilyard: American actor and educator.
- Nana Bryant: Actress (Mrs Nestor-Our Miss Brooks), dies at 67.
- NORAD Tracks Santa for the first time in what will become an annual Christmas Eve tradition.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1955 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?