Wednesday 26 August 1970
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Jacco Eltingh and Melissa McCarthy.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to War by Edwin Starr.
In UK The Wonder Of You by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
Lovers and Other Strangers, directed by Cy Howard, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1970
while The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Der Fall von nebenan.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 August 1970!
Which were the important events of 26 August 1970 ?
- RC saints - St Zephyrinus, Saint Ninian, David Lewis (one of the Forty Martyrs of England and Wales)
- Namibia - Namibia Day or Heroes' Day
- Zanzibar - Sultan's Birthday
- Jacco Eltingh: Heerde, Netherlands -- Tennis star (1993 ATP World Doubles).
- Melissa McCarthy: Movie Actress.
- Olimpiada Ivanova: Russian race walker.
- Brett Schultz: South African cricketer.
- Brannen Temple: American drummer and composer.
- The then new feminist movement, led by Betty Friedan, leads a nation-wide Women's Strike for Equality.
- August 30 ampndash The Isle of Wight Festival 1970 takes place on East Afton Farm off the coast of England. Some 600,000 people attend the largest rock festival of all time. Artists include Jimi Hendrix, The Who, The Doors, Chicago, Richie Havens, John Sebastian, Joan Baez, Ten Years After, Emerson, Lake amp Palmer and Jethro Tull.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 26 August 1970
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1970 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Edwin Starr - War
- Bread - Make It With You
- Carpenters - (They Long To Be) Close To You
- Mungo Jerry - In The Summertime
- Eric Burdon and War - Spill The Wine
- Stevie Wonder - Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours)
- Clarence Carter - Patches
- Ronnie Dyson - (If You Let Me Make Love To You Then) Why Can't I Touch You
- Diana Ross - Ain't No Mountain High Enough
- Chicago - 25 Or 6 To 4
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?