Saturday 26 December 1925
It was Saturday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Baron Baker and Claude Meillassoux.
A Woman of the Sea, directed by Josef von Sternberg, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1925
while The Constant Nymph by Margaret Kenned was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 December 1925!
Which were the important events of 26 December 1925 ?
- First day of Kwanzaa
- Australia - Proclamation Day (South Australian public holiday), for the foundation of the Australian state of South Australia on December 28, 1836 but commemorated on this day.
- Wrenboys celebrate Wren in Ireland
- Period of Ursids meteor shower ends about this day
- Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia - Tsunami Awareness Day/Tsunami Memorial (or Remembrance) Day
- Mandala Pooja at Sabarimala in Kerala, India
- First day of Junkanoo street parade in the Bahamas (the second day is on the New Year's Day)
- Wren day in Ireland and the Isle of Man.
- Boxing Day in the Commonwealth of Nations.
- The first day of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- St. Stephen's Day, a public holiday in Catalonia, Croatia, Czech Republic, and the Republic of Ireland.
- R.C. Saints - Saint Stephen
- South Africa - Day of Goodwill, a public holiday
- Slovenia - Independence and Unity Day (1990)
- Baron Baker: Activist.
- Claude Meillassoux: French neo-Marxist economic anthropologist and Africanist.
- Robert Watson: Passaic Writer.
- Etienne Garet: Stainville EXecutives.
- 1st East West football game at Ewing Park before 25,000 fans
- NHL record 141 shots as New York Americans (73) beat Pittsburgh Pirates (68) 3-1.
- Turkey adopts the Gregorian Calendar.
- The Great Sphinx of Giza is unearthed at the start of a complete excavation.
- The Australian state of Queensland introduces a 44-hour working week.
- New York City becomes the largest city in the world, taking the lead from London.
- The Thompson submachine gun sells for $175 in the 1925 Sears, Roebuck and Company mail order catalog.
- The National Football League adds 5 teams: the New York Giants, Detroit Panthers, Providence Steam Roller, a new Canton Bulldogs team, and the Pottsville Maroons.
- First Surrealist exhibition in Paris.
- In Germany, the Bauhaus moves to a building in Dessau designed by Walter Gropius.
- Lion Feuchtwanger's novel ''Jud Süß'' published.
- The Shueisha Publishing Company is founded in Tokyo.
- The Brisbane City Council, (Brisbane, Australia), is created from the amlgamation of 20 smaller cities, towns and shires.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1925 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- I'm Knee Deep in Daisies (And Head Over Heels in Love) - George Olsen & His Orchestra
- Vernon Dalhart - The Death of Floyd Collins
- Brown Eyes, Why are You Blue? - Carl Fenton & His Orchestra
- Alone at Last - Henry Burr
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?