By looking into the past events of our lives, one realizes that there were times when we were bolder and fearless to a degree. Various events have shaped the modern common beliefs and so below are major events of 1911.
In the later years of the 19th century, New York’s population had surpassed that of Paris and was quickly rising to level with London. Peculiar to this increase of population was the lack of a reference point in the city. The 27th President of the United States of America, President William Howard Taft on May 23rd 1911, dedicated the New York Public library that took 14 years to build at the cost of $9 million.Today, there are over two million members issued with the New York public library cards with branches of the library put up in New York City.
Three months later on August 21 and a trip across the Atlantic Ocean, Vincenzo Perugia walked into the Louvre in Paris, dismounted the famed Mona Lisa painting by Leonardo Da Vinci and walked out of the museum, the Mona Lisa hidden under his clothes. Detectives and investigators ruled out professional art thieves since it would be too suspicious to sell the painting.
The Mona Lisa turned up two years later where Perugia was trying to collect money from an Italian art dealer. The theft prompted better security installations across the world in museums.
As the year ended, it took more than just the spirit of adventure for the Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsento hoist the Norwegian flag at the bottom of the world on December 14. Amundsen had earlier wanted to be the first man to the North Pole, American explorer Robert Pearly beat him to it, and so he settled for the South Pole.Amundsen also became the first person to fly over the North Pole in an aircraft.
The best way to move forward is to know where to trail the past and the above compilation is just but a snippet of what happened in the year 1911.
All Nobel Prize winners of 1911
- Tobias Asser
- Alfred Hermann Fried
- Maurice Maeterlinck
- Wilhelm Wien
- Marie Skłodowska-Curie
Physiology or Medicine
- Allvar Gullstrand
Which were the top hits of 1911?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- John McCormack - Mother Machree
- Sophie Tucker - Some of These Days
- Fritz Kreisler - Liebesfreud (Old Vienna Waltz)
- Enrico Caruso - For You Alone
- John McCormack - Drink to Me Only with Thine Eyes
- Enrico Caruso - Addio (Good-Bye)
- Fritz Kreisler - Meditation from Thais
- Ada Jones & Billy Murray - Silver Bell
- Alma Gluck - From the Land of the Sky-Blue Water
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Which were the important events of 1911?
- 01 Jan 1911 Northern Territory is separated from South Australia and transferred to Commonwealth control.
- 02 Jan 1911 Brooklyn Dodgers president Charles Ebbets announces purchase of grounds to build a new concrete-and-steel stadium to seat 30,000.
- 03 Jan 1911 US postal savings bank inaugurated.
- 05 Jan 1911 Portuguese expel Jesuits.
- 07 Jan 1911 Dutch Scouts Organization established in Amsterdam.
- 10 Jan 1911 Honduras signs treaty turning over customs to US (not ratified).
- 12 Jan 1911 The University of the Philippines College of Law is formally established; three future Philippine presidents are among the first enrollees.
- 13 Jan 1911 Roald Amundsens anchors at Walvis Bay.
- 14 Jan 1911 Roald Amundsen's South Pole expedition makes landfall on the eastern edge of the Ross Ice Shelf.
- 16 Jan 1911 Pandora becomes first two-man sailboat to round Cape Horn west to east.
- 17 Jan 1911 Failed assassination attempt on premier Aristide Briand in French Assembly.
- 18 Jan 1911 1st shipboard landing of a plane (Tanforan Park to USS Pennsylvania)
- 21 Jan 1911 The first Monte Carlo Rally takes place.
- 26 Jan 1911 Richard Strauss' opera Der Rosenkavalier receives its debut performance at the Dresden State Opera.
- 28 Jan 1911 Frenchman Henri Rougier wins first Rally of Monte Carlo.
- 30 Jan 1911 The Canadian Naval Service becomes the Royal Canadian Navy.
- 05 Feb 1911 Society of Dutch Composers forms in Amsterdam.
- 06 Feb 1911 Great fire destroys downtown Constantinople / Istanbul Turkey
- 08 Feb 1911 US helps overthrow President Miguel D�vila of Honduras.
- 18 Feb 1911 The first official flight with air mail takes place in Allahabad, British India, when Henri Pequet, a 23-year-old pilot, delivers 6,500 letters to Naini, about 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) away.
- 25 Feb 1911 Opera Natoma, premieres in Philadelphia
- 03 Mar 1911 First US federal cemetery with Union and Rebel graves opens, Missouri.
- 07 Mar 1911 US sends 20,000 troops to Mexican border.
- 08 Mar 1911 International Women's Day is launched in Copenhagen, Denmark, by Clara Zetkin, leader of the Women's Office for the Social Democratic Party in Germany.
- 13 Mar 1911 Stanley Cup: Ottawa Senators beat Galt (Ontario), 7-4.
- 16 Mar 1911 Stanley Cup: Ottawa Senators beat Port Arthur (Ontario) 13-4.
- 18 Mar 1911 North Dakota enacts a hail insurance law.
- 19 Mar 1911 International Women's Day is celebrated for the first time. First Women's Day celebration took place in 1911, ''The Times of India'', 7 March 2011.
- 20 Mar 1911 National Squah Tennis Association formed (New York City, New York).
- 25 Mar 1911 Triangle Shirtwaist Factory catches fire 145 die, all but 13 girls
- 02 Apr 1911 The Australian Bureau of Statistics conducts the country's first national census.
- 04 Apr 1911 Hugh Chalmers, automaker, suggests idea of baseball Most Valuable Player.
- 05 Apr 1911 Waldorf W Aster acquires the Daily Observer.
- 06 Apr 1911 During the Battle of Deciq, Dede Gjon Luli Dedvukaj, leader of the Malesori Albanians, raises the Albanian flag in the town of Tuzi, Montenegro, for the first time after Gjergj Kastrioti (Skenderbeg).
- 08 Apr 1911 Dutch physicist Heike Kamerlingh Onnes discovers superconductivity.
- 13 Apr 1911 Polo Grounds grandstand and left field bleachers go up in flames.
- 15 Apr 1911 Walter Johnson pitches a record tying four strike outs in an inning.
- 19 Apr 1911 15th Boston Marathon won by Clarence DeMar of Massachusetts in 2:21:39.6.
- 27 Apr 1911 Following the resignation and death of William P. Frye, a compromise is reached to rotate the office of President pro tempore of the United States Senate.
- 30 Apr 1911 Portugal approves woman suffrage.
- 08 May 1911 Mexican Revolution: Pancho Villa launches an attack against government troops in Ciudad Juarez without Madero's permission the government troops surrender on May 10.
- 09 May 1911 Fire breaks out at Empire Theater in Edinburgh Scotland.
- 13 May 1911 37th Kentucky Derby: George Archibald aboard Meridian wins in 2:05.
- 15 May 1911 Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Indiana University, incorporates.
- 16 May 1911 Remains of a neanderthal man found in Jersey United Kingdom.
- 17 May 1911 36th Preakness: Eddie Dugan aboard Watervale wins in 1:51.
- 18 May 1911 President / Dictator Jose Porfirio Diaz of Mexico term ends
- 19 May 1911 Parks Canada, the world's first national park service, is established as the Dominion Parks Branch under the Department of the Interior.
- 20 May 1911 Edwin Boaler Alletson hits 189 in 90 minutes Notts versus Sussex.
- 21 May 1911 Mexican President Porfirio Diaz and the revolutionary Francisco Madero sign the Treaty of Ciudad Juarez to put an end to the fighting between the forces of both men, and thus concluding the initial phase of the Mexican Revolution.
- 22 May 1911 Braves pitcher, Cliff Curtis, loses his 23rd game in a row.
- 23 May 1911 New York Public Library building at 5th Avenue dedicated by President Taft.
- 24 May 1911 Mexican Revolution: Government troops fire at anti-Diaz demonstrators in Mexico City, killing about 200 (officials claim only 40).
- 25 May 1911 Mexican Revolution: Porfirio Diaz signs his resignation and leaves for Veracruz on May 31 he leaves for exile in France.
- 26 May 1911 1st Indianapolis 500 auto race is run
- 29 May 1911 1st running of Indianapolis 500
- 30 May 1911 At the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the first Indianapolis 500 ends with Ray Harroun in his Marmon Wasp becoming the first winner of the 500-mile auto race.
- 31 May 1911 The ocean liner R.M.S. Titanic is launched.
- 03 Jun 1911 Come Josephine in My Flying Machine hits #1
- 05 Jun 1911 Red Sox Joe Wood strikes out 3 pinch hitters in 9th for 5-4 win
- 06 Jun 1911 Nicaragua signs treaty turning over customs to US (not ratified).
- 07 Jun 1911 Mexican Revolution: Francisco Madero arrives in Mexico City just after a local earthquake.
- 08 Jun 1911 Belgium government of Schollaert falls
- 10 Jun 1911 Queen Wilhelmina opens Rembrandt house in Amsterdam
- 11 Jun 1911 UNIA founded by Garvey
- 15 Jun 1911 Tabulating Computing Recording Corporation (IBM) is incorporated.
- 16 Jun 1911 In Kilbourn, Wisconsin, USA a meteorite strikes a barn.
- 17 Jun 1911 Belgium government of De Broqueville forms
- 20 Jun 1911 NAACP incorporates (New York).
- 22 Jun 1911 King George V of England crowned.
- 24 Jun 1911 17th US Golf Open: John McDermott shoots a 307 at Chicago Golf Club - Illinois
- 26 Jun 1911 Nieuport sets an aircraft speed record of 83 mph (133 kph).
- 28 Jun 1911 Joseph Caillaux forms government in France
- 29 Jun 1911 Freiherr Gautsch von Frankenthurn becomes Premier
- 30 Jun 1911 Adolphe Messimy appointed French Minister of War
- 01 Jul 1911 German boat Panther nears for Agadir Morocco
- 03 Jul 1911 Ty Cobb hits in his 40th straight game. Does not get a hit next day
- 04 Jul 1911 Ty Cobb goes 0 for 4 and ends a 40 game hit streak.
- 07 Jul 1911 28th Wimbledon Womens Tennis: D Chambers beats D Boothby (60 60)
- 08 Jul 1911 Nan Aspinwall is 1st woman to make solo transcont trip by horse
- 17 Jul 1911 Overthrown shah of Persia Mohammed Ali lands on Astrabad with army
- 20 Jul 1911 Generals Henry Wilson / Auguste Dubail sign plan for British Expeditionary army in case of war with Germany
- 24 Jul 1911 Hiram Bingham III re-discovers Machu Picchu, ''the Lost City of the Incas''.
- 29 Jul 1911 Boston Red Sox Joe Wood no-hits Saint Louis Browns, 5-0.
- 31 Jul 1911 Hungarian education is only taught in German
- 01 Aug 1911 Omar N Bradley (18) begins education in West Point
- 08 Aug 1911 Public Law 62-5 sets the number of representatives in the United States House of Representatives at 435. The law would come into effect in 1913.
- 10 Aug 1911 Parliament Act reduces power of House of Lords.
- 14 Aug 1911 General Leconte appointed temporary President of Haiti
- 15 Aug 1911 Procter and Gamble unveils its Crisco shortening
- 19 Aug 1911 New York Giant Christy Mathewson loses after beating Reds 22 straight times
- 22 Aug 1911 Vincenzo Perugia steals Mona Lisa from Louvre, Paris
- 23 Aug 1911 British Premier Asquith holds secret meeting about British strategy in case of war with Germany
- 27 Aug 1911 Chicago White Sox Ed Walsh no-hits Boston, 5-0.
- 28 Aug 1911 45.7 cm rainfall at St. George, Georgia (state record)
- 29 Aug 1911 Ishi, considered the last Native American to make contact with European Americans, emerges from the wilderness of northeastern California.
- 01 Sep 1911 M Fourny sets world aircraft distance record of 720 km.
- 02 Sep 1911 Joao Chagas forms Portuguese government
- 03 Sep 1911 31st US Mens Tennis: Wm A Larned beats Maurice E McLoughlin (64 64 62)
- 04 Sep 1911 Garros sets world altitude record of 4,250 m (13,944 ft).
- 07 Sep 1911 French poet Guillaume Apollinaire is arrested and put in jail on suspicion of stealing the Mona Lisa from the Louvre museum.
- 09 Sep 1911 1st European airpost (Hendon to Windsor, England)
- 17 Sep 1911 1st transcontinental airplane flight, NY-Pasadena in 82 hours 4 minutes
- 18 Sep 1911 Russian Premier Peter Stolypin is shot at the Kiev Opera House.
- 19 Sep 1911 Red Tuesday-20,000 protest for universal rights
- 22 Sep 1911 Cy Young beats Pittsburgh 1-0 for his final career victory, number 511
- 23 Sep 1911 Earl Ovington becomes 1st air mail pilot
- 25 Sep 1911 Ground is broken for Fenway Park in Boston, Massachusetts.
- 29 Sep 1911 Italy declares war on the Ottoman Empire.
- 30 Sep 1911 The Austin Dam breaks, wiping out the town of Austin, Pennsylvania, United States, killing 78.
- 01 Oct 1911 United Dutch Diamond workers get 8-hr day
- 05 Oct 1911 Italian troops occupy Tripoli
- 06 Oct 1911 Beatrix van Rijk becomes 1st licensed Dutch woman pilot
- 09 Oct 1911 An accidental bomb explosion in Hankou, Wuhan, China leads to the ultimate fall of the Qing Empire
- 10 Oct 1911 The Wuchang Uprising leads to the demise of Qing Dynasty, the last Imperial court in China, and the founding of the Republic of China.
- 11 Oct 1911 Ty Cobb (AL) and Frank Schulte (NL) are 1st MVPs, each gets an auto
- 16 Oct 1911 Mexican Revolution: Felix Diaz, nephew of Porfirio Diaz, occupies the port of Veracruz as a sign of rebellion against Madero.
- 19 Oct 1911 Royal Mint in London sends dies for $1 coin to Ottawa Branch
- 20 Oct 1911 Helen Hayes Theater (Folies Bergere) opens at 210 W 46th St, New York City
- 21 Oct 1911 Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta Unions form Western Canada Rugby Football Union
- 23 Oct 1911 First use of aircraft in war: An Italian pilot takes off from Libya to observe Turkish army lines during the Turco-Italian War.
- 24 Oct 1911 Orville Wright remains in the air 9 minutes and 45 seconds in a Wright Glider at Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina.
- 26 Oct 1911 Philadelphia Athletics beat the New York Giants, 4 games to 2 in 8th World Series
- 28 Oct 1911 Bill Dobbie of Calgary Tigers kicks ten singles in a game.
- 30 Oct 1911 Clark Griffith is named manager of Washingston Senators
- 01 Nov 1911 The first dropping of a bomb from an airplane in combat, during the Italo-Turkish War.
- 03 Nov 1911 Chevrolet officially enters the automobile market in competition with the Ford Model T.
- 04 Nov 1911 Charles I of Austria marries Princess Zita of Bourbon-Parma
- 05 Nov 1911 Calbraith Rodgers arrives in Pasadena completing first transcontinental airplane flight (49 days) (left Sheepshead Bay, New York, Sept 17).
- 06 Nov 1911 Francisco Madeiro inaugurated President of Mexico.
- 10 Nov 1911 Andrew Carnegie forms Carnegie Corp (for scholarly & charitable works)
- 15 Nov 1911 Proclamation sets designs for Canadian $5 and $10 gold coins
- 17 Nov 1911 The Omega Psi Phi fraternity, the first African-American fraternity at an historically black college or university, is founded at Howard University in Washington, D.C.
- 19 Nov 1911 New York receives 1st Marconi wireless transmission from Italy
- 20 Nov 1911 Gustav Mahlers Tie Song of the Erde premieres in Munich
- 23 Nov 1911 Post Hospital at Presidio, San Francisco renamed Letterman General Hospital.
- 25 Nov 1911 3rd CFL Grey Cup: University of Toronto defeats Toronto Argonauts, 14-7
- 27 Nov 1911 Audience throws vegetables at actors for 1st recorded time in US
- 28 Nov 1911 Zapata proclaims Plan of Ayala Mexico
- 07 Dec 1911 National Hockey Association forms with New Westminister, Vancouver and Victoria.
- 10 Dec 1911 Calbraith Rogers completes first crossing of US by airplane (84 days).
- 12 Dec 1911 Delhi replaces Calcutta as the capital of India.
- 14 Dec 1911 South Pole 1st reached, by Norwegian Roald Amundsen
- 18 Dec 1911 Opening of first exhibition by Der Blaue Reiter group of painters, in Munich.
- 29 Dec 1911 San Francisco Symphony is formed.
- 30 Dec 1911 Sun Yat-sen elected 1st President of the Republic of China
- 31 Dec 1911 Marie Curie receives her second Nobel Prize.