Friday 1 April 1955
It was Friday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of April people in US were listening to The Ballad Of Davy Crockett by Bill Hayes.
In UK Give Me Your Word by Tennessee Ernie Ford was in the top 5 hits.
Revenge of the Creature, directed by Jack Arnold, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while The View From Pompey'S Head by Hamilton Basso was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 April 1955!
Which were the important events of 1 April 1955 ?
- Saint Waleric
- Saint Hugh of Grenoble
- Orissa - a state in eastern India celebrates "Utkal Divas", its statehood day.
- India - Start of financial year.
- Canada - Beginning of government's fiscal year.
- Japan - The official start of school years in most universities and schools. Also, the official First Day of Work at companies and offices for new university graduates hires, marked by welcoming ceremonies and speeches.
- April 1 is known as April Fool's Day or All Fools' Day in many countries.
- Roman Empire - Veneralia celebrated to honor Venus.
- In San Marino, two Captains Regent, elected by Parliament, take office for six months.
- Last day of the Assyrian New Year Celebration
- Saint Jacoba
- International Day of the Birds.
- In England and Wales, local government reorganisations traditionally happen on April 1.
- Brielle celebrates victory of 1572 over Spaniards.
- Pigasus Award announcement.
- Stan Ridway: rocker (Wall Of Voodoo).
- Danny Joe Pohl in Mount Pleasant: Michigan, USA; PGA golfer (1986 Colonial).
- Don Hasselbeck: American football player and sportscaster.
- İlhan İrem: Turkish singer-songwriter.
- Humayun Khan: Pakistani politician 5th Commerce Minister of Pakistan.
- WTVT TV channel 13 in Tampa-St Petersburg, Florida (CBS) 1st broadcast
- Armed military action taken against bureaucratic strike in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- The EOKA rebellion against The British Empire begins in Cyprus, with the goal of obtaining the desired unification (''enosis'') with Greece.
- Winston Churchill resigns as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
- Richard J. Daley defeats Robert Merrian to become Mayor of Chicago by a vote of 708,222 to 581,555.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1955 ?
Top #6 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?