Sunday 1 August 1954
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK Cara Mia by David Whitfield With Mantovani & His Orchestra was in the top 5 hits.
Robinson Crusoe, directed by Luis Buuel, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1954
while Mary Anne by Daphne du Maurier was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1954.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 August 1954!
Which were the important events of 1 August 1954 ?
- Orthodox Christianity - Procession of the Cross
- Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago - Emancipation Day
- St. Pellegrini/Peregrinus
- Angola - Armed Forces Day
- Switzerland - National Day
- Benin - National Day
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Kam�l (Perfection) - First day of the eighth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Sts. Faith, Hope, and Charity (sisters).
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Ethelwolf
- Yorkshire, United Kingdom - Yorkshire Day
- People's Republic of China - Anniversary of the Founding of the People's Liberation Army
- Lughnasadh - L� L�nasa, the traditional first day of Autumn in Ireland.
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the liberation of Haile Selassie from slavery
- Nicaragua - Fiesta Day
- Lammas - Neopagan festival of Lammas
- Lebanon - Army's Day (Eid al-Jaysh)
- World Scout Day - anniversary of the first day of the Brownsea Island Camp in 1907, where Robert Baden-Powell began scouting.
- Democratic Republic of Congo - Parent's Day
- Benno Mohlmann: German footballer.
- Basil Fearrington: American astrologer and writer with articles in American Astrology, Dell Horoscope, Considerations, plus a chapter in the Llewellyn book series, "Astrology Looks at History," and an introduction to Noel Tyl's book, "Astrology of the Famed.
- Trevor Berbick: Jamaican-Canadian boxer (d. 2006).
- James Gleick: American journalist and author.
- Benno Möhlmann: German footballer and manager.
- Charles-A Cingria: Writer.
- Louison Bobet wins his 2nd Tour de France
- WKBT TV channel 8 in La Crosse, WI (CBS) begins broadcasting
- The First Indochina War ends with the Viet Minh in Vietnam, the Khmer Issarak in Cambodia and the Pathet Lao in Laos emerging victorious against the French Army and the Viet Minh is reorganised into the Viet Cong.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1954 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Les Baxter & His Orchestra - The High And The Mighty
- The High and the Mighty - Leroy Holmes & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?