Saturday 1 August 2009
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of August people in US were listening to I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas.
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, directed by Stephen Sommers, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while Glenn Beck's Common Sense by Glenn Beck was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The WiseGuys.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Ant Nation or CrimeCraft.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2009.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 August 2009!
Which were the important events of 1 August 2009 ?
- Orthodox Christianity - Procession of the Cross
- Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago - Emancipation Day
- St. Pellegrini/Peregrinus
- Angola - Armed Forces Day
- Switzerland - National Day
- Benin - National Day
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Kam�l (Perfection) - First day of the eighth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Sts. Faith, Hope, and Charity (sisters).
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Ethelwolf
- Yorkshire, United Kingdom - Yorkshire Day
- People's Republic of China - Anniversary of the Founding of the People's Liberation Army
- Lughnasadh - L� L�nasa, the traditional first day of Autumn in Ireland.
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the liberation of Haile Selassie from slavery
- Nicaragua - Fiesta Day
- Lammas - Neopagan festival of Lammas
- Lebanon - Army's Day (Eid al-Jaysh)
- World Scout Day - anniversary of the first day of the Brownsea Island Camp in 1907, where Robert Baden-Powell began scouting.
- Democratic Republic of Congo - Parent's Day
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 01 August
- Corazon Aquino: Filipino aristocracy, from a wealthy family background.
- A shooting attack at the Gay and Lesbian Association building in Tel-Aviv, Israel, results in the deaths of two people.
- 4,000 people are evacuated from the Canary Islands due to severe forest fires. (RTÉ)
- Former President of the Philippines Corazon Aquino dies at the age of 76 of cardiopulmonary arrest after complications of colon cancer. A memorial service and funeral is scheduled for August 5. (''Philippine Daily Inquirer'')
- Russia signs a deal to open a second military base in Kyrgyzstan at a Collective Security Treaty Organisation summit. (AP)
- The trial of 30 protesters in Iran who demonstrated in protests after the disputed presidential election begins. (Al Jazeera)
- Thousands demonstrate in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, against a current security law that allows for detention without trial. (''The Times of India'')
- Venezuela orders 34 private radio stations to be closed. (Al Jazeera)
- Chinese hackers target the website of the Melbourne International Film Festival for a second time as Uyghur leader Rebiya Kadeer is to visit the country. (Bloomberg)
- North Korea says a South Korean fishing boat it seized ampquotillegallyampquot entered its waters. (BBC)
- Six Christians are killed in religious unrest in Punjab, Pakistan, after days of tension following an alleged desecration of a Qur’an. (BBC)
- Rare Buddhist treasures, buried in the 1930s during Mongolia's Communist purge, are unearthed in the Gobi Desert. (BBC)
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2009 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling
- Best I Ever Had - Drake
- Taylor Swift - You Belong With Me
- Keri Hilson - Knock You Down
- Sean Kingston - Fire Burning
- The Black Eyed Peas - Boom Boom Pow
- Lady GaGa - LoveGame
- Pitbull - I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)
- Birthday Sex - Jeremih
- Katy Perry - Waking Up In Vegas
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?