Tuesday 25 August 2009
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas.
Fantomas, directed by Louis Feuillade, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 August 2009!
Which were the important events of 25 August 2009 ?
- Roman festivals - Opiconsivia held in honor of Ops.
- RC Saints - Genesius of Arles, Saint Louis IX of France, Saint Joseph Calasanz
- Uruguay - National Day (independence from Brazil in 1825).
- Philippines - National Heroes' Day.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 25 August
- Edward M Kennedy: United States Senator from Massachusetts, brother of John F. Kennedy (Born 1932).
- U.S. President Barack Obama nominates Ben Bernanke to a second term as Federal Reserve chairman.
- U.S. Democratic Senator Edward Kennedy, brother of assassinated president John Kennedy and Senator Robert Kennedy, dies at age 77 of brain cancer in Massachusetts, USA.
- British Prime Minister Gordon Brown repeats that the British Government played no role in the release from prison of Lockerbie bomber Abdelbaset al-Megrahi, it being a matter for the Scottish Government. (Daily Telegraph)
- The Malaysian opposition party PAS defeats the government party UMNO in the by-election at Permatang Pasir, Penang. (Bernama)
- A suicide bombing in Mesker-Yurt, Chechnya, kills three police officers. (BBC News)
- Madagascar's political rivals meet for a second round of talks in Maputo, Mozambique. (Reuters Africa)
- South Korea launches its first space rocket, ''Naro-1'', but fails to put the STSAT-2A satellite into the planned orbit. (Yonhap)
- A bomb in Afghanistan kills four American soldiers, making 2009 the deadliest year for foreign troops since the 2001 invasion. (BBC)
- A gas explosion at a coal mine in Shanxi, China, kills at least 14 people. (BBC)
- The United States budget deficit for 2009 will reach $1.6 trillion, the highest ever recorded. (BBC)
- 42 people are injured after a car bomb explodes at a crowded restaurant with government officials in Narathiwat, southern Thailand. (The Age)
- Syria and Iraq recall their ambassadors over a dispute following the recent bombings in Baghdad last week. (Syrian News Station)
- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez announces plans to break off diplomatic relations with Colombia over the neighboring country's plan to allow U.S. troops access to its military bases. (CNN)
- The Morris Fire begins near Morris Dam in the Angeles National Forest. This fire is thought to have been caused by arson and is the first in a series of wildfires to burn through Southern California in 2009.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2009 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 25 August 2009 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?