Sunday 9 August 2009
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Isaiah Hasselbeck .
In that special week of August people in US were listening to I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas.
District 9, directed by Neill Blomkamp, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while New Moon by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The WiseGuys.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Amagami or Battlefield Heroes.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 August 2009!
Which were the important events of 9 August 2009 ?
- St. Nathy (or David)
- Feast day of the great martyr Saint Panteleimon in Russian Orthodox Church
- St. Fedlimid/Felimy
- St. Romanus Ostiarius
- St. Edith Stein
- Singapore: National Day
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Jean Vianney
- Isaiah Hasselbeck: American child born to noted parents, television show host Elizabeth Hasselbeck and football player Tim Hasselbeck.
- South African opposition parties call on President Jacob Zuma to withdraw Sandile Ngcobo as Chief Justice because he failed to consult the opposition and Judicial Service Committee. (''The Times'')
- Sri Lanka's governing coalition wins in Jaffna but suffers a surprise defeat in Vavuniya in the country's first post-war local elections. (AFP)
- A million people are evacuated in southeastern China as Typhoon Morakot approaches. (AFP)
- A 6.9 magnitude earthquake hits Tokyo and eastern Japan. (Reuters)
- Tonga raises the death toll from the MV ''Princess Ashika'' sinking to 93. (''Matangi Tonga'')
- Three bombs explode on the island of Majorca, Spain. (RTÉ)
- At least 43 people are feared dead after a massive mudslide sweeps away three hamlets in northern India. (RTÉ)
- A Kam Air plane bound for the Xinjiang Autonomous Region in northwestern China is diverted to Kandahar, Afghanistan after an earlier alleged bomb threat. (BBC)
- Former Taoiseach of Ireland Garret FitzGerald is among twenty Irish nationals who are quarantined at a French chateau due to swine flu. (''Expatica'')
- A senior General from the Iranian Revolutionary Guard calls for opposition leaders Mohammad Khatami, Mir Hossein Mousavi and Mehdi Karroubi to stand trial. (Press TV)
- A same-sex marriage demonstration occurs outside the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform in Dublin. (RTÉ)
- The last of three men who escaped from a Belgian jail on board a hijacked helicopter are recaptured in Morocco. (''The New York Times'')
- Seventeen people, including five children, are killed when a crowded bus crashes into a ditch after being side-swiped by an oncoming heavy truck in Mount Darwin, Zimbabwe. (IOL)
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2009 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?