Wednesday 5 August 2009
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas.
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, directed by Stephen Sommers, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while New Moon by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2009.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 5 August 2009!
Which were the important events of 5 August 2009 ?
- St. Memmius
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Oswald
- St. Afra and her companions
- Burkina Faso - Independence Day
- Croatia - Victory Day and National Thanksgiving Day
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 05 August
- Budd Schulberg: American author screenwriter and producer (d. 2009).
- The 40th Pacific Islands Forum leaders' meeting opens in Cairns, Australia. (RNZI)
- The funeral of Corazon Aquino, the first female President of an Asian country and the Philippines, takes place in the Philippines. (CNN)
- Brazilian President Lula da Silva says his country is “now advising the International Monetary Fund, IMF”. (MercoPress)
- Iraq's government announces that all Bremer walls will be removed from Baghdad within forty days. (BBC)
- 11 men drown when a boat sinks on the Nile near Khartoum, Sudan. (IOL)
- Two United States journalists, Laura Ling and Euna Lee, who had been detained by North Korea, return home with former U.S. President Bill Clinton. (CNN)
- Former Madagascar leader Marc Ravalomanana is hopeful that a relaunch of peace talks between the country's rival factions will bring progress toward a return of political stability. (IOL)
- A dog featured in an American film called ''I Love You, Man'', which was named after assassinated Egyptian President Anwar El Sadat, leads to a court case as bloggers complain that their country has been insulted. (BBC)
- Fourteen people are shot at a women's dance class in LA Fitness gymnasium in Collier Township, Pennsylvania, United States. Three women die, as does the gunman. (BBC News)
- Ireland's Health Service Executive threatens several pharmacies with High Court injunctions if they do not adhere with their contracts to dispense drugs. (RTÉ)
- Part-nationalised UK lender Lloyds Banking Group reports pre-tax losses of £4 billion for the first half of this year. (Sky News)
- Chansa Kabwela, the news editor of the ''The Post'', goes on trial in Zambia after being accused of distributing obscene images. (IOL)
- Police fire teargas at protesters rallying in support of Lubna al-Hussein, the Sudanese woman facing 40 lashes for wearing trousers in public. (IOL)
- A court in Moscow opens a new trial into the murder of Russian journalist Anna Politkovskaya. (AFP)
- A Chinese teenager sent to an internet addiction rehabilitation camp is allegedly beaten to death by its counsellors. (''Global Times'')
- The United States White House defends its decision to award its Presidential Medal of Freedom to former President of Ireland Mary Robinson. (''The Sydney Morning Herald'')
- Austrian police probe the shooting of two adolescents who allegedly broke into a supermarket and died by police. (Deutsche Welle)
- An anthem sung by FC Schalke 04's fans draws Islamic protests because of its reference to the Prophet Muhammad. (BBC)
- Romanians who fled Belfast following racist attacks return to Northern Ireland. (''The Irish Times'')
- Belgian Justice Minister Stefaan De Clerck is under fire after three men with criminal records escape from a courthouse in Brussls. The escape follows the helicopter breakout of three inmates, including one of Belgium's most dangerous criminals, and the ladder breakout of six more convicts all in the space of twelve days. (Deutsche Welle)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2009 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?