Thursday 8 December 1949
It was Thursday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Mary Gordon and Nancy Meyers.
Sands of Iwo Jima, directed by Allan Dwan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
On TV people were watching College of Musical Knowledge.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 December 1949!
Which were the important events of 8 December 1949 ?
- Malta - Public Holiday.
- Panama - Mother's Day
- Romania - Constitution Day
- Bulgaria - Day of the Student (studentski praznik)
- R.C. Saints - The solemnity of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary: a Holy Day of Obligation
- Italy - In Milan, the opera season starts.
- Buddhism - The Enlightenment of Gautama Buddha
- Afflux (50 Aftermath) (Discordianism)
- Mary Gordon: American author critic and academic.
- Nancy Meyers: American film director, producer and screenwriter.
- Ray Shulman: English violinist guitarist and producer (Simon Dupree and the Big Sound and Gentle Giant).
- Robert Sternberg: American psychologist and academic.
- Gentlemen Prefer Blondes opens at Ziegfeld Theater NYC for 740 performances
- Chinese Nationalist government moves from Chinese mainland to Formosa.
- Jule Styne's Gentlemen Prefer Blondes premieres at Ziegfeld Theater in New York City for 740 performances.
- United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) established as a UN agency.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?