Sunday 9 September 1956
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK Whatever Will Be Will Be (Que Sera Sera) by Doris Day was in the top 5 hits.
Lust for Life, directed by Vincente Minnelli, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while Don'T Go Near The Water by William Brinkley was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1956.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 September 1956!
Which were the important events of 9 September 1956 ?
- North Korea - Republic Day (1948)
- Eastern Orthodoxy - Synaxis of the Theopatores Joachim and Anna
- California - Admission Day (to commemorate the state's admission to the USA)
- Japan - Chrysanthemum Day (Kiku no Sekku)
- Tajikistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- Elena Mazzetti Soler: Peruvian doctor who was Minister of the Interior from 2006 to 2007, being the first woman in Peru to reach that title.
- Anatoli Pavlovich Artsebarsky: Russia -- Colonel / Cosmonaut (Soyuz TM-12).
- Trace DeMeyer: American Shawnee-Cherokee multi-genre author, artist, poet and journalist, also known as Laura Jean Thrall-Bland.
- Courtney Hill: American noted family, the fifth child, second daughter of Ethel and Robert Kennedy.
- 70th US Womens Tennis: Shirley J Fry beats Althea Gibson (63 64)
- 76th US Mens Tennis: Ken Rosewall beats Lewis Hoad (46 62 63 63)
- African Party for Liberation of Guinea-Bissau and Cape Verde forms
- Elvis Presley appears on national TV for first time (Ed Sullivan Show).
- Elvis Presley appears on ''The Ed Sullivan Show'' for the first time.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1956 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?