Sunday 11 November 1928
It was Sunday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Show People, directed by King Vidor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1928
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 November 1928!
Which were the important events of 11 November 1928 ?
- Colombia - Independence of Cartagena, from the Spanish Army in (1918)
- Remembrance Day in the Commonwealth of Nations, including United Kingdom, Australia and Canada.
- Lacplesis' Day (1919) in Latvia: the official date for commemoration of Latvian soldiers, who had died for the country's freedom.
- Armistice Day in France and Belgium: end of World War I (1918)
- Poland - Independence Day (1918)
- R.C. Saints - Martin of Tours
- Angola - Independence Day (1975)
- Opening of carnival season in Germany ("Karneval"/"Fasching" on 11-11, at 11:11), the Netherlands, and other countries
- Also see November 11 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- United States - Veterans Day (Formerly "Armistice Day")
- South Korea - Pepero Day
- Ernestine Anderson: American singer.
- Len Fulford: English photographer and director (d. 2011).
- Carlos Fuentes: Panamanian-Mexican author and academic (d. 2012).
- Gracita Morales: Spanish actress and singer (d. 1995).
- Claude Guichard: Ste Foy la Grande physician.
- Edward Zorinsky: American politician who served as a Senator for the state of Oklahoma.
- Arthur Cunningham: Composer
- Donald Petersen: American professor and poet, his collection, "Early and Late" received the 2001 New Criterion Poetry Prize. Married for 53 years, he and his wife had four children. He taught English at the State University College in Oneonta, NY for 38 years, until his retirement in 1993. He died July 17, 2005 at his home in Chattanooga, TN.
- KXO-AM in El Centro CA begins radio transmissions
- WGL-AM in Ft Wayne IN begins radio transmissions
- WMT-AM in Cedar Rapids IA begins radio transmissions
- WOL-AM in Washington DC begins radio transmissions
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 11 November 1928 and get them!