Monday 12 March 1951
It was Monday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
The Red Badge of Courage, directed by John Huston, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1951
while Joy Street by Frances Parkinson Keyes was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1951.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 12 March 1951!
Which were the important events of 12 March 1951 ?
- Ancient Latvia - Gregoru Diena observed.
- Flag Day in Venezuela.
- "National Day" of the Republic of Jamtland
- Sweden - Namesday of Crown Princess Victoria, an Official Flag Day.
- Mauritius - National Day.
- St. Justina
- St. Jozefina
- Roman Catholic Church - Feast day of: St. Theophanes the Confessor
- Arbor Day in China.
- St. Maximilian
- Caren Kaye in New York City: New York, USA; actress (My Tutor, Bambi - Blansky's Beauties).
- Jack Green: Rocker.
- Baseball Commissioner Happy Chandler loses fight (9-7) to stay in office.
- Communist troops driven out of Seoul, Korea.
- Hank Ketcham's best-selling comic strip ''Dennis the Menace'', appeared in newspapers across the U.S. for the first time.
- Korean War: For the second time, United Nations troops recapture Seoul during Operation Ripper.
- West Germany joins UNESCO.
- Second Red Scare: Ethel and Julius Rosenberg are convicted of conspiracy to commit espionage. On April 5 they are sentenced to receive the death penalty.
- Rodgers and Hammerstein's ''The King and I'' opens on Broadway and runs for 3 years. It's the first Rodgers Hammerstein musical specifically written for an actress (Gertrude Lawrence). Lawrence is stricken with cancer during the run of the show and dies halfway through its run a year later. The show makes a star of Yul Brynner.
- The 23rd Academy Awards ceremony is held All About Eve wins Best Picture and 4 others.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1951 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Bing Crosby & Andrews Sisters - Sparrow In The Tree Top
- Would I Love You (Love You, Love You) - Doris Day (Harry James Orchestra)
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?