Thursday 16 September 1926
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Lee Kuan Yew and Tommy "Butch" Bond.
The Strong Man, directed by Frank Capra, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1926
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 September 1926!
Which were the important events of 16 September 1926 ?
- Mexico - Independence Day (from Spain; proclaimed 1810, recognised 1821, instituted 1825; See Fiestas Patrias)
- Also see September 16 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Cyprian, Pope Cornelius, Saint Ludmila
- In ancient Greece, the third day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the initiates walked to the sea at Phaleron and purified themselves in the water.
- Papua New Guinea - Independence Day (from Australia, 1975)
- Lee Kuan Yew: Prime Minister of Singapore.
- Tommy "Butch" Bond: Actor (Butch-Our Gang).
- Takao Tanabe: Canadian painter.
- Tommy Bond: American actor, best known for his work as a child actor for two different nonconsecutive periods on "Our Gang" ("Little Rascals") comedies (first as "Tommy" and later as "Butch").
- Eric Gross: Austrian-Australian pianist and composer (d. 2011).
- John Knowles: US writer (Morning in Antibes)
- Rogers McKee: American baseball player (d. 2014)
- Robert Schuller: American pastor and author (d. 2015)
- Rudolf C Eucken: German philosopher (Nobel 1908), dies at 80.
- Italian-Romanian peace treaty signed
- St. Louis Cardinals beat Phillies 23-3
- Philip Dunning and George Abbott's play ''Broadway'' premieres in New York City.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1926 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Cherie, I Love You - Ross Gorman & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?