Sunday 17 July 1955
It was Sunday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Christopher Chappell and Giorgio Corbelli.
In that special week of July people in US were listening to (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock by Bill Haley and His Comets.
In UK Unchained Melody by Jimmy Young was in the top 5 hits.
The Kentuckian, directed by Burt Lancaster, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while Something Of Value by Robert Ruark was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Those Whiting Girls.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1955.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 July 1955!
Which were the important events of 17 July 1955 ?
- Kyoto, Japan - Gion Matsuri
- Various mathematics departments - Yellow Pig's Day
- South Korea - Constitution Day
- Puerto Rico - Luis Mu�oz Rivera's Birthday
- Feast Day of St Cynllo
- Iraq - Ba'ath Revolution Day
- Christopher Chappell: Canadian Cricketer.
- Giorgio Corbelli: Italian President of the Soccer Team, Napoli.
- Sylvie Léonard: Canadian actress and screenwriter.
- Paul Stamets: American mycologist and environmentalist.
- Bronislaw Zygmunt Szulc: Composer, dies at 73.
- Arco Idaho becomes 1st US city lit by nuclear power
- Arco, Idaho becomes first US city lit by nuclear power.
- At 4:30 PM, the ABC Television network airs the 90-minute Dateline Disneyland show, broadcasting the opening of Disneyland park. An estimated 90 million people watch the show, the largest live TV broadcast to date, with over twenty cameras and a staff of hundreds. Hosts of the show are Art Linkletter, Bob Cummings, and Ronald Reagan. The official dedication is made by Walt Disney and California Governor Goodwin Knight.
- The American Broadcasting Company broadcasts a sneak preview of Disneyland in Anaheim, California.
- The Illinois Governor, William Stratton, signs the ampquotLoyalty Oath Actampquot, passed by the State Legislature, which mandates all public employees take a loyalty oath to Illinois and the United States, or lose their jobs.
- The first Geneva Summit meeting between the United States, the Soviet Union, the United Kingdom, and France begins. It ends on July 23.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1955 ?
Top #7 songs in the USA
- Fats Domino - Ain't It A Shame
- Bill Haley and His Comets - (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock
- Frank Sinatra - Learnin' The Blues
- Unchained Melody - Les Baxter & His Orchestra
- Something's Gotta Give (orchestra Of Sy Oliver) - Sammy Davis Jr.
- Nat King Cole and the Four Knights - If I May
- Alan Dale - Sweet And Gentle
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?