Friday 23 October 1942
It was Friday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Michael Crichton in the USA novelist (Andromeda Strain and Douglas Dunn.
I Married a Witch, directed by Rene Clair, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1942.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 October 1942!
Which were the important events of 23 October 1942 ?
- Chemistry: Mole Day
- Astrology: First day of sun sign Scorpio in Western tropical astrology.
- Hungary - National Day (revolution of 1956 and the proclamation of the Republic of Hungary in 1989)
- Also see October 23 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- R.C. Saints - Saint Giovanni da Capistrano; Anicius Manlius Severinus Boethius
- French Republican Calendar - CTleri (Celery) Day, second day in the Month of Brumaire
- Michael Crichton in the USA novelist (Andromeda Strain: Congo, Looker) (dies 2008).
- Douglas Dunn: Scottish poet, academic, and critic.
- Michael Crichton: American writer, the author of best-selling sci-fi thrillers, many of which were made into movies.
- Luca Magnani: Italian noted family, the son of actress Anna Magnani.
- Bernd Erdmann: German football player and manager.
- Anita Roddick: English businesswoman and activist founded The Body Shop (d. 2007)
- 1st ships of invasion fleet to Morocco leave Norfolk
- During WWII, Britain launches major offensive at El Alamein, Egypt
- German units go through Red October-factory in Stalingrad
- World War II: Second Battle of El Alamein: : At El Alamein in northern Egypt, the British Eighth Army under Field Marshal Montgomery begins a critical offensive to expel the Axis armies from Egypt.
- All 12 passengers and crewmen aboard an American Airlines DC-3 airliner are killed when it is struck by a U.S. Army Air Forces bomber near Palm Springs, California. Amongst the victims is award-winning composer and songwriter Ralph Rainger (''Thanks for the Memory'', ''Love in Bloom'', ''Blue Hawaii'').
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1942 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?