Monday 24 December 1973, Christmas Eve
It was Monday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Frédéric Demontfaucon and Stephenie Meyer.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to Time In A Bottle by Jim Croce.
In UK I Love You Love Me Love by Gary Glitter was in the top 5 hits.
Magnum Force, directed by Ted Post, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1973
while The Honorary Consul by Graham Greene was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Illustrated, Simplified and Painless Sunday School.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Lunar Lander or Gotcha.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1973!
Which were the important events of 24 December 1973 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Frédéric Demontfaucon: French judoka, who won the 2001 World Judo Championship in the middleweight (90 kg) division.
- Stephenie Meyer: Young Adult Author.
- Liu Dong: Chinese-Spanish runner.
- Eddie Pope: Greensboro, North Carolina -- Soccer defender (1996 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Ali Tamek: Moroccan activist.
- In New Mexico, USA, a magnitude 4.1 earthquake occurs.
- Ferryboat capsizes off coast of Ecuador, drowning 200.
- District of Columbia Home Rule Act is passed, allowing residents of Washington, D.C. to elect their own local government.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 24 December 1973
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1973 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Jim Croce - Time In A Bottle
- Charlie Rich - The Most Beautiful Girl
- Helen Reddy - Leave Me Alone (Ruby Red Dress)
- Steve Miller Band - The Joker
- Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
- Todd Rundgren - Hello It's Me
- Carpenters - Top Of The World
- Al Wilson - Show And Tell
- Brownsville Station - Smokin' In The Boy's Room
- Barry White - Never, Never Gonna Give Ya Up
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?