Thursday 24 October 1929
It was Thursday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Herbert Hoover (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include George H Crumb and James Brosnan.
The Taming of the Shrew, directed by Sam Taylor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1929
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1929.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 October 1929!
Which were the important events of 24 October 1929 ?
- Also see October 24 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In The Fellowship of the Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien, the date is mentioned to Frodo Baggins by Gandalf upon his waking in Rivendell.
- Discordianism - Maladay
- Zambia - Independence Day (1964)
- R.C. Saints - optional memorial of Antonio Maria Claret
- United Nations Day (charter 1945)
- George H Crumb: Charleston, West Virginia -- Composer (Pulitzer 1968-Echoes of Time).
- James Brosnan: Baseball player / writer (Long Season).
- George Crumb in Charleston: West Virginia, USA; composer (Pulitzer Prize 1968 - Echoes of Time).
- Jim Brosnan: American baseball player, a right-handed pitcher with the Chicago Cubs, St. Louis Cardinals, Cincinnati Reds, and Chicago White Sox between 1954 and 1963.
- Eugene Grisanti: American lawyer and CEO in charge of International Flavors and Fragrances.
- C Rogers: American executive and CEO of Equifax, an insurance services and data base venture company. Rogers has a BA in Business and an MBA degree and is a previous IBM employee with specialty in technical knowledge.
- Hubert Aquin: Canadian novelist, political activist and editor (Born 1929)
- George Crumb: American composer and educator
- Rachel Douglas-Home: 27th Baroness Dacre English wife of William Douglas-Home (d. 2012)
- Yordan Radichkov: Bulgarian author and playwright (d. 2004)
- Gustav Ranis: American economist and academic (d. 2013)
- Sos Sargsyan: Armenian actor (d. 2013)
- Peter J Blok: Dutch historian, dies at 74.
- Black Thursday, start of stock market crash, Dow Jones down 12.8%
- First day of New York stock market crash, Black Thursday.
- Song "Happy Days are Here Again" is published in the USA.
- ''Black Thursday'' stock market crash on the New York Stock Exchange.
- October 29 ampndash Wall Street Crash of 1929: Three multi-digit percentage drops wipe out more than $30 billion from the New York Stock Exchange (10 times greater than the annual budget of the federal government).
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?