Thursday 24 October 1929
It was Thursday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Herbert Hoover (Republican).
The Taming of the Shrew, directed by Sam Taylor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1929
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 October 1929!
Which were the important events of 24 October 1929 ?
- Also see October 24 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In The Fellowship of the Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien, the date is mentioned to Frodo Baggins by Gandalf upon his waking in Rivendell.
- Discordianism - Maladay
- Zambia - Independence Day (1964)
- R.C. Saints - optional memorial of Antonio Maria Claret
- United Nations Day (charter 1945)
- C Rogers: American executive and CEO of Equifax, an insurance services and data base venture company.
- Jim Brosnan: American baseball player, a right-handed pitcher with the Chicago Cubs, St. Louis Cardinals, Cincinnati Reds, and Chicago White Sox between 1954 and 1963.
- George H Crumb: Charleston, West Virginia -- Composer (Pulitzer 1968-Echoes of Time).
- James Brosnan: Baseball player / writer (Long Season).
- Hubert Aquin: Canadian novelist, political activist and editor (Born 1929).
- George Crumb: American composer and educator
- Rachel Douglas-Home: 27th Baroness Dacre English wife of William Douglas-Home (d. 2012)
- Yordan Radichkov: Bulgarian author and playwright (d. 2004)
- Gustav Ranis: American economist and academic (d. 2013)
- Sos Sargsyan: Armenian actor (d. 2013)
- Eugene Grisanti: American lawyer and CEO in charge of International Flavors and Fragrances. Grisanti has an AB, LLB and LLM law degrees.
- George Crumb in Charleston: West Virginia, USA; composer (Pulitzer Prize 1968 - Echoes of Time).
- Peter J Blok: Dutch historian, dies at 74.
- Black Thursday, start of stock market crash, Dow Jones down 12.8%
- First day of New York stock market crash, Black Thursday.
- Song "Happy Days are Here Again" is published in the USA.
- ''Black Thursday'' stock market crash on the New York Stock Exchange.
- October 29 ampndash Wall Street Crash of 1929: Three multi-digit percentage drops wipe out more than $30 billion from the New York Stock Exchange (10 times greater than the annual budget of the federal government).
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 24 October 1929 and get them!