Thursday 24 October 1929
It was Thursday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Herbert Hoover (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include George H Crumb and James Brosnan.
The Taming of the Shrew, directed by Sam Taylor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1929
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 October 1929!
Which were the important events of 24 October 1929 ?
- Also see October 24 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In The Fellowship of the Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien, the date is mentioned to Frodo Baggins by Gandalf upon his waking in Rivendell.
- Discordianism - Maladay
- Zambia - Independence Day (1964)
- R.C. Saints - optional memorial of Antonio Maria Claret
- United Nations Day (charter 1945)
- George H Crumb: Charleston, West Virginia -- Composer (Pulitzer 1968-Echoes of Time).
- James Brosnan: Baseball player / writer (Long Season).
- George Crumb in Charleston: West Virginia, USA; composer (Pulitzer Prize 1968 - Echoes of Time).
- Jim Brosnan: American baseball player, a right-handed pitcher with the Chicago Cubs, St. Louis Cardinals, Cincinnati Reds, and Chicago White Sox between 1954 and 1963.
- Eugene Grisanti: American lawyer and CEO in charge of International Flavors and Fragrances.
- C Rogers: American executive and CEO of Equifax, an insurance services and data base venture company. Rogers has a BA in Business and an MBA degree and is a previous IBM employee with specialty in technical knowledge.
- Hubert Aquin: Canadian novelist, political activist and editor (Born 1929)
- George Crumb: American composer and educator
- Rachel Douglas-Home: 27th Baroness Dacre English wife of William Douglas-Home (d. 2012)
- Yordan Radichkov: Bulgarian author and playwright (d. 2004)
- Gustav Ranis: American economist and academic (d. 2013)
- Sos Sargsyan: Armenian actor (d. 2013)
- Peter J Blok: Dutch historian, dies at 74.
- Black Thursday, start of stock market crash, Dow Jones down 12.8%
- First day of New York stock market crash, Black Thursday.
- Song "Happy Days are Here Again" is published in the USA.
- ''Black Thursday'' stock market crash on the New York Stock Exchange.
- October 29 ampndash Wall Street Crash of 1929: Three multi-digit percentage drops wipe out more than $30 billion from the New York Stock Exchange (10 times greater than the annual budget of the federal government).
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?