Tuesday 24 October 1944
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Ray Downs and Viktor Prokopenko.
None But the Lonely Heart, directed by Clifford Odets, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
On TV people were watching Gillette Cavalcade of Sports.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 October 1944!
Which were the important events of 24 October 1944 ?
- Also see October 24 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In The Fellowship of the Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien, the date is mentioned to Frodo Baggins by Gandalf upon his waking in Rivendell.
- Discordianism - Maladay
- Zambia - Independence Day (1964)
- R.C. Saints - optional memorial of Antonio Maria Claret
- United Nations Day (charter 1945)
- Ray Downs: American author and musician.
- Viktor Prokopenko: Ukrainian footballer and manager (d. 2007).
- Bettye Swann: American singer-songwriter.
- Ted Templeman: American singer guitarist and producer (Harpers Bizarre).
- Lauri S A Haarla: Finnish writer (Juudas, Sukeltaja), dies at 54.
- Rotterdam Passage fight frees 46 prisoners
- US air raid on Japanese battleships / cruisers in Sibuya Sea: Musashi sinks
- US aircraft carrier Princeton sinks at Philippines
- US Captain David Mccampbell shoots down 9-11 Japanese planes in Gulf of Leyte
- World War II: The Japanese aircraft carrier Zuikaku, and the battleship Musashi are sunk in the Battle of Leyte Gulf.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1944 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- The Trolley Song - Pied Pipers
- Let's Sing A Song About Susie - Merry Macs
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?