Tuesday 28 December 1976
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Gerald Ford (Republican). In that special week of December people in US were listening to Tonight's The Night (Gonna Be Alright) by Rod Stewart.
In UK Under The Moon Of Love by Showaddywaddy was in the top 5 hits.
Voyage of the Damned, directed by Stuart Rosenberg, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1976
while Trinity by Leon Uris was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1976.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 28 December 1976!
Which were the important events of 28 December 1976 ?
- The third day of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- Calendar of Saints - Feast of the Holy Innocents, a.k.a. Childermas, commemorating the Massacre of the Innocents on order of king Herod the Great. In Spain and Latin American countries the festival is celebrated in a manner similar to April Fool's Day.
- Igor Zikovic: Croatian footballer.
- Igor Žiković: Croatian footballer.
- Trond Nymark: Norwegian race walker.
- Joe Manganiello: TV Actor.
- Fiddler on the Roof opens at Winter Garden Theater NYC for 167 performances
- Genie Francis joind General Hospital as Laura Vining
- Winnie Mandela banished in South Africa.
- US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- Legendary guitarist Freddie King dies.
- In late March 1976, the first truly complete recording of the opera ''Porgy and Bess'' is released in a 3-LP set, by Decca Records in England and by London Records in the U.S. It stars Willard White and Leona Mitchell. The orchestra is the Cleveland Orchestra conducted by Lorin Maazel.
- Random Breath Testing introduced in Victoria (Australia)
- The first laser printer is introduced by IBM (the IBM 3800).
- California's sodomy law is repealed.
- The term memetics is first proposed by Richard Dawkins in his book ''The Selfish Gene''.
- Diffie-Hellman cryptography is proposed.
- Plans to move the Nigerian capital from Lagos to Abuja are approved.
- The New Jersey State Legislature passes legislation legalizing casinos in the shore town of Atlantic City commencing in 1978. After signing the bill into law, Governor Brendan Byrne declares ampquotThe mob is not welcome in New Jersey!ampquot referring to the Mafia's influence at casinos in Nevada.
- The Early Academic Outreach Program (EAOP) was established by the University of California (UC) in response to the State Legislature's recommendation to expand post-secondary opportunities to all of California’s students including those who are first-generation, socioeconomically disadvantaged, and English-language learners.University of California EAOP, 2003 in Review. University of California, 2009-10 Budget for Current Operations Budget Detail, as Presented to the Regents for Approval.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1976 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Rod Stewart - Tonight's The Night (Gonna Be Alright)
- Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis Jr. - You Don't Have To Be A Star (To Be In My Show)
- Spinners - The Rubberband Man
- Leo Sayer - You Make Me Feel Like Dancing
- Boston - More Than A Feeling
- Elton John - Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word
- Stevie Wonder - I Wish
- Brick - Dazz
- Rose Royce - Car Wash
- Engelbert Humperdinck - After The Lovin'
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?