Monday 28 May 1956
It was Monday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK No Other Love by Ronnie Hilton was in the top 5 hits.
The Killing, directed by Stanley Kubrick, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while The Last Hurrah by Edwin O'Connor was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 28 May 1956!
Which were the important events of 28 May 1956 ?
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Germain of Paris
- Republic Day in Azerbaijan and Armenia (both 1918).
- Bernard of Menthon
- Augustine of Canterbury
- William of Gellone
- Jerry Douglas: American guitarist and producer (The Country Gentlemen and Strength in Numbers).
- Markus Höttinger: Austrian race car driver (d. 1980).
- Michael Musyoki: Kenyan runner.
- Julie Peasgood: English actress.
- Peter Wilkinson: English admiral.
- Mark Alexander: Lees; rowing coach.
- Markus Hottinger: Austrian racing driver (d. 1980)
- Francis Joyon: French professional sail boat racer and yachtsman, who holds the record for the fastest single-handed sailing circumnavigation.
- Paul Reed: American gay author who wrote the first novel about AIDS, “Facing It,” along with other fiction and nonfiction and sex stories under the pen name of Max Exander. In 2001 he published The Redwood Diary, a journal about a year of his life, from April, 1995, when he moved to a cabin in the redwood forests near San Francisco, to March, 1996. A long-time survivor of AIDS, he started on protease inhibitors when they became available and died of the disease on January 28, 2002.
- Susie Diane Owens: Arkansas City, Kansas -- Playmate (March, 1988)
- Pamela Oconnell: TV Producer
- Eisenhower signs farm bill allows government to store agricultural surplus
- US President Dwight Eisenhower signs farm bill allowing government to store agricultural surplus.
- Dale Long becomes first to hit homeruns in eight straight games.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1956 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?